Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-15, 03:55 PM   #1
scottmcll
Lurking Renovator

Default Final mini-spilt install Qs.

Hello All,

The info I've found in other threads regarding DIY mini-split installations has been invaluable, and I am very appreciative.

I am now at the stage in my own, 3 zone, install that it's time to pressure test, evacuate, and release the 410a. I purchased pro equipment to do the job and I just have a few lingering questions I'd like answers to, along with any advice, before proceeding.

First, the manufacture and seller of my unit, Thermocore, does not recommend pressure testing the system with nitrogen. They say pulling and holding a deep vacuum is check enough. It just seems to me that applying pressure is a better way to check those flare connections. Opinions/advice?

Next, if I do test with nitrogen and there are no leaks, I assume that I evacuate the nitrogen with the vacuum pump in the same operation as pulling the deep vacuum ahead of releasing the 410a, correct? Does pulling the vacuum assure there is no nitrogen left in the system to contaminate the refrigerant?

I will begin with fresh oil in the pump. Will I need to change the oil between each zone vacuum operation?

Next, I am using a core removal tool on my hose setup. After pulling the deep vacuum on a zone, do I reinsert the valve before I release the refrigerant, or after?

And lastly, am I correct that I proceed one zone at a time? Meaning, beginning with zone A, pressure test, evacuate, release refrigerant, power test, then on to zone B, according, then zone C?

Thank you, Scott

scottmcll is offline   Reply With Quote