EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-11, 10:34 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default What is your average kWh/day usage?

I'm curious what others are using and what their goals for electric usage are. I'm talking just about electricity here. Please note what appliances use electricity vs gas or whatever else you use.

It is just me and my wife in the house, and we both work. We have a gas furnace, gas water heater, gas dryer, electric oven but gas range. My previous goal with this setup was to get under 10 kWh per day. I achieved that pretty easily during the week with usage around 7-10 kWh and usually just over that 10-13 kWh on the weekends.

Not long ago, I replaced my old inefficient (and leaking) gas hot water heater with on demand electric water heater. Since then my usage has averaged just a hair under 16 kWh per day. I recently got a plugin conversion kit working for my Prius and that eats up just under 2kWh during the weekdays. However, last month I didn't see a 2kWh increase in my average which I'm quite happy about. I'm thinking a new goal is to get that under 15 kWh per day now.

What are the rest of you using? I have no idea if this is good consumption or bad. I've seen higher numbers used, but I have no context to compare them to. Perhaps that person doesn't use gas at all. According to my utility's information I'm below average for my area, but again that doesn't take into account the variables.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 11:11 AM   #2
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

100% electric house, so hot water, stove, heat pump, dryer are all electric.
During the summer I average 19-20kwh/day dead of winter it's jumping to just shy of 50 kwh/day depending on how cold it is. The total running average for my house is at 30.44 kwh/day.

Sccording to my utility I'm below average for my house is my area with my appliances and my family size. Still according to their chart the low end person in my "category" uses 1/2 what I do.

<edit> family is 2 adults and 2 kids - 1.5 and 3 years </edit>

Last edited by strider3700; 09-26-11 at 12:42 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 11:17 AM   #3
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

According to my only two bills Avg per day was 20.4 kwh the first month and 15.3 for the second month. The utility company states the typical customer uses about 1000 KWH a month we used that in two months.

There are only two of us living in the house water, heater, drier, stove and oven are all gas (only 8ccf a month). The first month was warm and had the AC on when moving in the fridge is ~20yrs old with the coils on the bottom, and the kitchen is dark at any time after 4pm so lights are on when we are in there. The last month we had two fans running and the HVAC fan on almost 24hr a day for 4-5days to dry out the basement from the busted water heater, but less AC during that month.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 11:34 AM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

We have 4 adults on our bill (duplex that we own both halves of and each have a room mate) and the last bill came out to 18kwh per day, last year it was 15kwh per day for the same month.
We are on our 3rd month of our new gas water heater and that is using .2 therms per day or about $0.11 per day in fuel plus service and connection fees that we get charged even if we don't use any fuel.
Our furnace is also natural gas but it hasn't been on for over 6 months, the rest of our house is electric tho, stove/range, tea kettle, fridge, chest freezer, basement dehumidifier and a few kwh per day go to charging my electric car, figure it in at about 300 watt hours per mile and I tend to drive 5-8 miles per day, but even if I am not driving it the float on the charger kicks on every hour or so for maybe 10 minutes, drawing about 300 watts while it's on.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 06:54 PM   #5
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'm very happy with my electric consumption, even though it's up from last year. I'm at 110-135kWh/mo in March-July and Sept-Nov. August was 196kWh, and the coldest month was January at 208kWh.

I keep the air conditioning season as short as possible through the use of the curtains. I turn the A/C off when I leave the house.

I have a gas furnace with an energy-hungry electric blower. Gas stove, gas hot water. My electric blanket is ... electric. So is my car's grid charger, but considering the small battery in the car, it doesn't have a huge impact. I also have a toaster oven, which is much more efficient than my gas oven.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 11:15 PM   #6
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default I just got my bill today..

It looks like the total kWh cost is up from $0.21 to $0.218 now..

This month has been mild, and we only used 446 kWh. It's been real nice lately..

Because of last winter's extra cold months, we have used 7,700 kWh ($1678.29) during the last 12 months.
The Exact monthly average is 641.666 ($139.86)..
21.1 kWh per day ($4.66).

That's near what we pay for Fios cable-phone-data..

Half cooling and Half heating:
During the six warm months, we stay between 400 and 500 kWh.
During the six months of cold, it's between 650 & 840
(with a peak of 900 in Feb).

So, cold ave is around 750 and mild weather ave is 450..
Must mean that our Sanyo is eating up an extra 300 kWh ($65.39) when it's cold..
That's seems to be an extra $2.18 a day to heat the house.
IIRC, around 10kWh per day is what the Sanyo is using on the cold days.

Cheaper than burning a few gallons of #2 heating oil, at $4ish a gallon?

We've been burning a half gallon of oil every day all summer..
It's funny to think our hot water cost (using oil) is about the same
as heating the house with the Sanyo in January..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 08:32 PM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default AC_Hacker's Daily Electricity Usage...

My daily electric usage per day for September is 12 kWh/day.

I have gas water heat (demand water heater), gas stove, gas dryer.

I have no incandescent lighting anymore, and I am in the process of replacing the CF lights with LED lights.

I'm still using my 3/4 Ton Sanyo heat pump for heat, and I used it for AC about seven days this summer. This time of year, my house is very close to being in comfortable equilibrium (70F) with the outside temperature.

I also drive a car that has a lifetime average of 54 mpg.

It might be interesting to convert all energy use to the same units, say kWh and make that comparison.

BTW, I heard a very interesting talk last night where I learned that the poverty level in India is defined as less than 75 cents per day. I also learned that less than half of India has access to electricity.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-13-11 at 11:24 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 02:32 PM   #8
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
My daily electric usage per day for September is 12 kWh/day.

I have gas water heat (demand water heater), gas stove, gas dryer.

I have no incandescent lighting anymore, and I am in the process of replacing the CF lights with LED lights.

I'm still using my 3/4 Ton Sanyo heat pump for heat, and I used it for AC about seven days this summer. This time of year, my house is very close to being in comfortable equilibrium (70F) with the outside temperature.

I also drive a car that has a lifetime average of 54 mpg.

It might be interesting to convert all energy use to the same units, say kWh and make that comparison.

BTW, I heard a very interesting talk last night where I learned that the poverty level in India is defined as less than 75 cents per day. I also learned that less than half of India has access to electricity.

-AC_Hacker
Interesting you bring this up:

Modi to Use Solar to Bring Power to Every Home by 2019 - Bloomberg

I use ~200KWH a month, a little more in the winter. We don't need AC up here.
Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 06:40 AM   #9
munter
Lurking Renovator

We run at 5kWhr/day for three seasons and then 14kwhr/day average over winter when we use the heat pump. I suspect we are in a much more temperate climate here in Sydney compare to most of North America.

That is for a family of three (now four) and with gas hot water and gas cooking.
munter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 07:16 AM   #10
Daox
Administrator

Wow, thats very low munter. Can you add to your description a bit with how you heat water, etc.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote