EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Product Reviews
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-11, 07:33 AM   #11
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'm a big fan of products that give you settings that are too high/low to be useful to everybody.

You have options for making the dimmest setting more usable. You could wait for sundown, install dark thermal curtains, and/or install the television in a recessed fixture. Or just burn the extra 12W. It's still a very efficient television. I'm impressed that they made a 46" that's that much more efficient than their inexpensive 40" that I have.

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 08:01 AM   #12
Daox
Administrator

I definitely agree. Its always nice to have 'too much' adjustment instead of not enough!

I'll have to check out what the high setting is like at night with the lights off or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 12:20 PM   #13
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Speaking of eco settings - Our LCD has an option which dims the backlight if the image on the screen is black (or close to black). I doubt it happens often enough to make a noticeable dent in energy consumption, but I guess every bit counts.
Old 02-21-11, 05:58 PM   #14
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Such a setting gives you blacker blacks, which is hard to achieve with an LCD. I love dynamic backlighting.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 09:21 AM   #15
jkurtz11

The joy of blacks with TVs, get better black = plasma = insane energy consumption or worse black = LCD = better energy consumption ....

I gave up on the TV dilemma and just focused on insulation, windows, and now solar
Old 02-11-14, 08:05 PM   #16
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I also have a Samsung 5000 series lcd tv , only in the 40" size , without all the energy savings labels and buttons. It does how ever have all of the needed controls to adjust its wattage consumption from a high of around 200w to a low slightly below 50 watts.
I use it with the back lighting on 2 (out of 10) with the contrast set near full and brightness as high as possible without making the blacks too bright. It consumes 50w with those settings. If I feel like a real bright experience say for a darkly recorded movie i will switch it over to dynamic mode with the back lighting on 8 , later i switch it back as not only does it consume unnecessary electricity it strains my eyes.

The kill-a-watt meter paid for it self with just the tv adjustments i made using it. I found the back lighting setting 3 had a large wattage increase from the 2 setting, yet provided little to no noticeable effect with the picture brightness.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-12-14)
Old 02-13-14, 03:29 PM   #17
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

My 40" Vizio M401i-A3 has excellent blacks - it has dynamic contrast ratio of 10,000,000:1. Uses ~45W typically, with video only. The sound is over an AV receiver and speakers. Weighs about 23 pounds.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 05:35 PM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I did a firmware update on the Samsung tv today and its picture quality improved ( imo) with better blacks and a overall crisper look.

it was easy enough to do oddly it changed the power profile somewhat.

ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-07-17)