EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-11, 05:46 PM   #21
S-F
You Ain't Me

OK.

This thread is getting beyond the scope of what I originally intended. This is not a bad thing. Since I have discovered a valid, safe and air sealed method of providing air to an atmospheric boiler under conditions which it was not intended to operate (such as a well sealed house) any further speculation is in strict modder Territory.

Can one convert an atmospheric boiler to be a sealed combustion boiler? This is the question we are raising here. Aside from simply creating a sealed box around the unit there are certainly many, many, MANY more issues to take into consideration. If people are interested, let's hash them out.

Piwoslaw:

It is my personal opinion that your concerns about freezing are unwarranted due to the fact that there is a lot of heat present at all times. Either active or residual heat from the boiler itself or from the surrounding environment that will nullify this. Now if you keep you mechanicals in an unconditioned space (and if so you have better things to worry about than upgrading your functional boiler to a sealed combustion boiler) freezing might be an issue. From my point of view it is next to impossible to remove an entire basement from the thermal envelope of a house. It's more expensive, but, one should include it. You gain conditioned space and saves money on utilities.

Next:
Is it actually possible? Are the burners different in some way? I’m assuming the 97% efficient burners aren’t the same as the 80% efficient ones in a different box.
I know someone who. For the first decade of the operation of Buderus in the US was their troubleshooter. He did all of the Buderus training in the early 90’s. They flew him all over the place to troubleshoot new installations. He very well may be the most competent Buderus tech in North America. I’ll contact him ASAP about these issues.

S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 04:25 AM   #22
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

OK, I searched for pictures of the insides of boilers to see the difference in hardware between open and closed combustion chambers. Here is a good comparison:
Notice the closed model on the right: The combustion chamber itself is not sealed, but instead is inside a sealed box, with the rest of the plumbing, motor, electronics outside the box. I think this is the way to go: seal the upper half of what is inside the boiler.

While searching I also noticed that all models had intake and exhaust in a concentric tube set-up (with the exhaust inside the intake), I didn't see any which would have the intake come in from a different side than the exhaust. Other than safety, maybe this to pre-warm the intake air?
This concentric intake/exhaust tube can either go vertically up a chimney, or horizontally out through a wall.

Also, all models had a fan for ventilating the combustion chamber. This fan could also act as a damper to hinder airflow when the burner is off, though with a totally sealed chamber this shouldn't be a problem.
I believe (though I am not sure) that a Rheem model has two fans: one for the intake and one for the exhaust

Now, once the combustion chamber is closed up it will be very temping to take the next step and convert the boiler to a condensering model increasing the efficiency by up to 15%. The problem for a DIY'er would be a good, acid resistant condensing heat exchanger. The commercial HXs are made of 409 stainless steel, from what I've read.
But 'condensifying' the boiler is worth its own thread.

S-F, I'm very interested in what your Buderus friend has to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kotly_gaz_olej1_.jpg
Views:	1717
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1761   Click image for larger version

Name:	kotly_gaz_olej2_.jpg
Views:	1724
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1762   Click image for larger version

Name:	open_closed.jpg
Views:	2326
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1766   Click image for larger version

Name:	chimney.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1767   Click image for larger version

Name:	boiler-condensing.jpg
Views:	3895
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1768  

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 10-02-11 at 04:40 AM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:42 AM   #23
S-F
You Ain't Me

Well, here's the reply from my friend:

Quote:
That particular boiler is designed to work off atmospheric pressure. It can’t be made sealed combustion. It could become unsafe. All you can do is run a fresh air pipe from the outside and terminate it near the boiler somewhere. Granted if your house is so tight- anytime you turn on a bathroom fan cold air will flood in through that pipe.

How do you get your domestic hot water? Do you have another heater unit or an indirect tank off the boiler?

May have a solution, A Rinnai sealed combustion Combi unit. 96%eff.
Sounds like it's not possible. I'm not sure but judging by his statements it would seem as though it has something to do with air pressure.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S-F For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (10-04-11)
Old 10-04-11, 01:09 PM   #24
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Thanks S-F
I was starting to see potential problems with just boxing in the combustion chamber. For example, a fan would be needed to keep the fresh air flowing in, but it would have to compensate for different burner flame sizes (my boiler's burner adjusts the flame between 11-23kW) - too much air with a small flame could be wasteful and/or dangerous.

Replacing the innards with those from a closed chamber model probably wouldn't be cheaper than buying a new boiler.

So a pipe that ends right under the boiler it will be. But the damper which closes only when the flame is off should be OK?
Old 10-13-11, 12:57 AM   #25
stuartrivchun
Lurking Renovator

Default How to provide fresh air to my boiler?

Hi,I don't know much but would suggest you to take the advice from the expert.

stuartrivchun is offline   Reply With Quote