EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-12, 11:40 PM   #41
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
There are so many deep water drilling platforms because the high cost of extracting that oil is still less than the market price of oil and so there is profit to be made.
Yes I think so.

But the name of the game is not just to make profit, but to make the maximum profit possible.

I'm still not satisfied that deep water drilling is not the biggest boondoggle ever seen. Because much more profit can be made (we could buy oil much cheaper) if all that effort was put into drilling on land.

I mean the price of oil has skyrocketed since they started that deep water drilling fiasco, and American taxpayers are supposed to foot the bill.

-AC_Hacker

Old 02-21-12, 09:19 AM   #42
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
New prepper TV Show: “Doomsday Prepper” | ModernSurvivalOnline.com

Is it my imagination? Or does it seem like there's a lot more interest
in Doomsday Prepping during the last 2 or 3 years??
well theres this whole war with iran thing going, republicans and defense contractors are drooling over it
Old 02-21-12, 09:21 AM   #43
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
The following wouldn't be taking place if solar energy was as efficient as claimed. From Slate Magazine:

This directly contradicts your claim that solar power can be had for 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of fossil-fuel generated power.

More highlights:

Oops for you. I guess that you made the mistake of taking the reciprocal - Solar isn't one fourth as expensive as fossil, it's four times as expensive.

This speaks to the point I made upthread - paying more for a product or service than one actually needs to pay is a form of inefficiency and when this inefficiency infects an entire economy, then there are profound ripples effects which touch all manner of things, such as competitiveness, job growth, wage growth, economic growth, social spending, deficit spending, etc.

Here's the boondoggle of "green jobs" that environmentalists have been tripping on - again, inefficiency with respect to opportunity costs. Faith and wishful thinking are very bad foundations for public policy, especially when they are anti-empirical with respect to their claims.

more solar denial bs, try solar city,

they install solar panels on your house and charge you nothing, and will give you 1000$ worth of electricity if you sign up by feb 29th

solar is not more expensive
http://www.solarcity.com/
Old 02-21-12, 09:23 AM   #44
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

YOU UNDERSTAND THIS? STOP YOUR DAMN LIES!

SolarCity has partnered with Google to offer affordable solar power to homeowners by creating the nation's largest residential solar financing fund. Watch video announcement ►
Go Solar for as Little as $0 Down

Now you can go solar without the high initial cost of purchasing a solar system. Instead of buying the equipment, you simply pay as you go.
Save Money Every Month for Decades to Come

You can save money every month by paying less for clean solar power than you pay the utility company today.
Old 02-21-12, 03:11 PM   #45
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
well theres this whole war with iran thing going, republicans and defense contractors are drooling over it
I'm pretty sure our regime sees no problems with Iran bomb-proofing
their nuclear weapons development sites.

Obama is telling Israeli not to worry, it's going to be at least a year
before the crazies have nukes.

The IDF (Israel Defense Forces) knows it's only a matter of time
before the Iranian bomb factories are buried too deep for convention weapons.

Their heads are on the block.. For them, it's a choice between bombing this month,
or wait until next year and then nuke those sites..

I'm sure all the "republicans and defense contractors are drooling" to have fallout swirling around the world.

Yeah, that really sound like great fun.
Old 02-21-12, 05:26 PM   #46
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

I see that you're reacting as most fervently religious people act when their faith is attacked with reason and logic and facts. You lash out.

Look at the numbers with Germany - the costs for electric bills went UP when people started adding solar infrastructure to their homes.

Your invocation of the talisman of Solar City doesn't help your case. Here is a quote from their website:
Federal, state and local governments offer incredible financial incentives to encourage homeowners to switch to renewable energy. These incentives dramatically lower the cost of a solar system or energy efficiency project. These incentives often make solar power less expensive than power from the utility company.
This company relies on a 50% kickback/subsidy from governments.

The cost of solar isn't cheaper, the cost is shifted to taxpayers. Why should your neighbor have to subsidize your consumption of more expensive solar power through the use of his taxes. Your power consumption is not a public good, meaning that his life isn't improved, nor is the communities, by your own personal consumption habits which they are subsidizing. How would you feel if you had to subsidize his annual vacation to Hawaii with your tax dollars. Personal consumption is personal consumption is personal consumption.
Old 02-21-12, 08:03 PM   #47
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

still the cost of a broken ecosystem and bad crops and drought and houses burned down(5k) in texas last year is. whats the prices to fix those things? hmm yea ummm waiting for your response so cleverly described as reason, also the health benefits of reduced pollution will pay for itself 10 fold. These are proven statements,

the economy will improve if health costs are reduced, hence why the whole oil crap is a fassad for our economy, the REAL ECONOMY IS US, THE PEOPLE OF THIS PLANET, NOT SOME CRAP WE DRUDGE FROM THE GROUND, GO SOLAR NOW,

SCREW ALL OIL COMPANIES, AND THEIR PROFITS THEY SPENT ON DISPELLING CLIMATE, SECURITY, AND HEALTH TRUTH.

PLEASE SPARE ME YOURE CONSERVATIVE, THE GOVERNMENT SHOULDN'T HELP US AFFORD GREEN ENERGY STANCE, HELL THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD SOLELY EXIST TO PROVIDE ME GREEN ENERGY, PLAIN AND SIMPLE, AND STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY LIFE OTHERWISE,

AND , PUTTING REGULATIONS ON OIL COMPANIES AND PHARMACEUTICALS, ALSO DOCTORS, IS STAYING OUT OF MY LIFE, I AM NOT AN OIL COMPANY, THANX.

Last edited by Solar; 02-21-12 at 08:23 PM..
Old 02-21-12, 09:07 PM   #48
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Just goes to show that religion is a very touchy topic.
Old 02-22-12, 07:19 AM   #49
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Alan that is a straw man argument. Reality and facts are what they are. Science is the way we humans are working to understand the universe around us. Climate science is interrelated to almost all other fields of science, and the peer review process is the same for all science.

You and I are not qualified to criticize brain surgeons, or astrophysicists, or oceanographers, and we are certainly not able to dismiss the conclusions of all the IPCC scientists. They are telling us about reality and just like if astrophysicists were telling us about an asteroid on a collision course with earth -- we ignore them at our peril.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Solar (02-22-12)
Old 02-22-12, 08:09 AM   #50
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Alan, you are so right..

"How would you feel if you had to subsidize his annual vacation to Hawaii with your tax dollars."??

Actually, when the people who live in this multi-million dollar house in Lexington, MA.

Go to Hawaii on vacation, I will be subsidizing their vacation.. Money is money.

The state of Mass has a LOT of expenses..
On Deval Patrick’s watch, six-figure salaries spike - BostonHerald.com

Where do they go to make up the short-fall?? Taxpayers & fee-payers maybe??
This state is like a Black-Hole for cash.. The more it gets, the stronger the cash-pull gets..
Isn't there some critical mass point, and then it's all over??

Closed Thread