Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-30-10, 06:06 PM   #11
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I've even reduced my temperatures to 40F for the fridge and 5F for the freezer. I don't think there is much left to do besides adding insulation, and the wife won't like that one too much unless I can make it look nice and pretty. I did pull it a bit farther away from the wall when I put the kill a watt on it too, it was very close and it was pretty warm back there.

I'll try cleaning the coils.
Any improvement after cleaning the coils?

Does the fridge have an ice maker? Apparently ice makers use quite a lot of power. Can you turn off the ice maker for a few days and see what difference that makes?

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 08:36 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

I actually haven't cleaned the coils yet. My average power consumption was 1.61 after a few more days of use.

The fridge does have an ice maker. We run it enough to fill the tray and then turn it off and it lasts for a few weeks. We did have it refill the tray recently though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 09:16 PM   #13
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Fridges suck power.

Whenever I look at my T.E.D. (think of it as a whole-house Kill-a-Watt) and say "how the heck am I using 500 watts!?" I have to remember that half of that is just the fridge running.

We bought our fridge a few years ago. It doesn't take a huge amount of energy, but it is a 22 cu ft. I think our old one was 18 or 19, and size does make a difference.

I was over at a friend's a while back who had a Sun Frost. It's real quiet, and all the compressor, etc. is on top, where the heat can rise away from it. Seemed like a nice setup. Also, those things have crazy thick insulation.

You know how you can get aftermarket insulation for your water heater? I wonder about something similar for a fridge? I am sure that since they are all rectangular, it wouldn't be too hard to increase the insulation from the outside with some EPS.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 12:02 AM   #14
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

My old fridge ran a lot, every 10 minutes or so you'd hear it kick on. I pulled it out from the wall and took a look and decided the easiest/cheapest fix was to carefully move the coils away from the back and put some foil covered bubble wrap insulation between the coils and the back as well as build a heat shield of the insulation between the bottom and the compressor. Then I used some stand offs to angle the coils so they weren't completely vertical.

The fridge dropped down to running roughly every hour or so, it was a huge improvement noise wise. I didn't have a wattmeter at the time so i have no idea if it saved as much as it seemed to but my wife commented that the fridge seemed to be running less often.

My new fridge has built in coils and a smooth back making adding insulation impossible.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 06:19 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

I finally unhooked the kill a watt last week or so. After 925 hours of logging, it averaged out to 1.37 kWh/day. I still haven't cleaned the coils...

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 08:43 AM   #16
danneva
Lurking Renovator

Refrigerators and freezers consume about a sixth of all electricity in a typical American home – using more electricity than any other single household appliance.
danneva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:16 AM   #17
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default My noisy GE Refrigerator

I just found my notebook. On 2-14-09, it says 26 cents a day, $1.83 a week, $7.86 per month & $95.64 per year.
I think the Kill-a-watt was set for .20 per kWh at that time..

My basement freezer (on 10-2-08) was sucking up 731 kWh a year!!
We replaced that unit in the summer of 2010.
I tried to test the new one, but my Kill-a-watt was acting up..
(After I loaned it out).. Maybe I'll give it another shot..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-11, 01:44 PM   #18
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Here is something that really surprised me: Our fridge uses 255kWh per year (0.70kWh/day) and is considered very efficient (rated A+ on the European energy efficiency scale). But yesterday I was in an appliance store and happened to see an even more efficient model, Bosch's KGE 39AW40. It is quite larger than our model (fridge: 247 l vs 218 l, freezer: 92 l vs 83 l) yet uses only 157 kWh per year (0.43kWh/day)!! It's rated at A+++ (A-30%).

I looked inside, but the walls didn't look thicker than my fridge's, and I haven't heard about any breakthough compressor technology which would reduce usage by 30%, so my guess is a new type of insulation The only difference between the two units (other than size) is that the Bosch has an internal circulation fan while mine doesn't. Could that be the key to lowering my fridge's energy consumption? Would putting a small computer fan inside mine help?
Old 10-23-11, 06:00 PM   #19
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default SmartCool info..

That's cool !

Clever and cool with SmartCool: the new line of super-efficient refrigerators from Bosch

All SmartCool units have an intelligent electronic control system that contributes significantly to low energy consumption. Compared to A+ appliances, the SmartCool refrigerators in Energy Efficiency Class A+++ save up to 50 percent on electricity. The minimal consumption of this line is achieved through a combination of several clever details. One of them is insulation, because even the most energy-efficient technology won't help if the insulation is not 100 percent effective. SmartCool units are therefore equipped with high-end insulation throughout. Inside, the evaporator draws the warm air out of the cooling chamber and ensures a constant temperature – using minimal electricity. Last but not least, the liquefier, which is responsible for thermal output, has been optimized for the new line so it, too, contributes to overall energy efficiency. And one final energy feature: the special design of the vaporizer in the freezer compartment, with the new LowFrost technology from Bosch. A sheath around the condenser drastically reduces frost buildup and guarantees efficient and uniform temperatures. This reduces defrosting – and if you have to defrost something, the quick access door makes it easy.

In the year 2025, we are going to get these in America..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-11, 09:18 PM   #20
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

That is good to know -- and I hope they sell them here soon! I have a 19 year old frig -- very large with 20cu ft in the frig and 7 cu ft in the freezer. It is pretty good at 1.6kWh day, but your new one is 1/4 as much. That is seriously good.

Where is this web page based?

http://appliancetoday.info/new-smart...rs-from-bosch/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 10-23-11 at 09:23 PM..
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote