EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-18, 09:12 AM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Passive Solar Garage Door

Hi Folks!

I recently built a Passive Solar Garage Door!

Not a new or original idea, but still a good one. I loosely based mine on the one Gary Reysa wrote about in Home Power #117 (Link HERE)

My garage has two 9'x7' insulated garage doors. They are steel on both sides and filled with urethane foam - about the best R-value you can get before going to some sort of a custom modified door.

I built a "Storm Door" for the right-hand side door out of wood and plexiglass. It is split in half and hinged so that it opens to the outside.

It's dual pane, by using the plexiglass and then adding a plastic window insulator kit to the inside.

On a sunny day, I just open the garage door to let in the heat and light. At night and cloudy/snowy days, the garage door is left down to keep the heat inside.

Full write-up on the project is posted on Instructables.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Pas...r-Garage-Door/

Temperature inside the garage can be 20+ degrees warmer inside than ambient temperature.

I could still add glazing to the other garage door, but I'm still using that side for parking a car. I wouldn't want to add additional glazing unless I can figure out a good way to still make it convenient to move a car in and out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7753.jpg
Views:	1989
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	8147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7754.jpg
Views:	1990
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	8148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7765.jpg
Views:	1844
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	8149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7767.jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	8150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7771.jpg
Views:	1971
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	8151  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 02-12-18 at 08:45 AM..
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
ctgottapee (03-09-18), GaryGary (03-09-18), MetroMPG (03-08-18), stevehull (02-09-18), sunspot (02-10-18), where2 (02-11-18)
Old 02-12-18, 09:13 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Very nice Ben! That looks like a great solution. And it looks like you did a really nice job. How much did the materials cost for it out of curiosity?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 09:19 PM   #3
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Materials cost was a bit high.

Plexiglass was $120 a sheet (and I needed two 4'x8' sheets)
Lumber was on the pricey side too, but I was using NICE lumber which is pre-primed. That pre-primed is kind of a life-saver as it's winter, and it's kinda hard to do a good exterior paint job in the cold outdoors! I simply assembled the project, and it looked very finished because of the priming.

I'll add a coat of real paint once the weather is a little nicer.

Twin wall polycarbonate is less expensive, but also slightly less transparent, and I like the nice view through the window.

In total, my cost was about $500. The project certainly can be done cheaper than that, but I am pleased with the overall results.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-14-18), Roostre (02-14-18)
Old 03-09-18, 11:17 AM   #4
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi,
Looks great!

Mine is more than 10 years old now and still going strong.

Only change I've made was to change the lower glazing panels from Acrylic to twinwall polycarbonate after banging into with with the car

Aside from the nice solar heat its great to work in a shop/garage with good solar lighting.

Gary

GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glazing, passive, solar, thermal, window