EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search
 


Blog Register 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-11, 09:06 PM   #21
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,836
Thanks: 105
Thanked 241 Times in 222 Posts
Default

$9.97 isn't too bad.. I'm planing on going to HD soon anyways (for mini-split install stuff),
and I just might pick up a couple of their $9.97 LEDs..
I still have one more of those Decorative bathroom LEDs to pick up too.

Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 10:35 AM   #22
zick
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 42
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
My wife just pointed out these 40Weq LEDs for $9.97 in the local HomeDepot flyer.

Shop for EcoSmart A19 8.6-Watt (40W) LED Light Bulb (864680) from The Home Depot

I think they use about 1 watt more than mine, which cost me $3 more..
Otherwise, the specs are very similar. These look like a real deal.

Cheers,
Rich
I wonder how well these would work in a recessed can light? How much heat do these things produce? I mean the higher wattage LED bulbs always seems to have such big heat sinks on them.
zick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 04:30 PM   #23
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,997
Thanks: 303
Thanked 700 Times in 524 Posts
Default

My lights that I ordered from China finally came in. They cost $5.85 each, free shipping.

Shipping time was twelve days.

They were a bit smaller than I expected, but appear well made and they all do work. The smaller size can be a bonus, because I have some track lighting that will only take smaller bulbs.


The bulbs are shown with a Utilitech Pro light that I got from Lowe's under some other brand name for $25.

The Utilitech is larger, heavier and has four LEDS. It also has a diffusion pattern in front of the LEDs to spread the light out more.



The smaller lights (no brand showing) use three LEDs.

The light was advertised as warm white, and I would say that it does appear to be a pleasant comfortable color without the harsh blue cast I have encountered before.

NEXT POST: Performance results.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheap-LED_01.jpg
Views:	1150
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1781   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheap-LED_02.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1782  
__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-13-11 at 04:32 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 04:40 PM   #24
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,836
Thanks: 105
Thanked 241 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zick View Post
I wonder how well these would work in a recessed can light? How much heat do these things produce? I mean the higher wattage LED bulbs always seems to have such big heat sinks on them.
If they are only using 8.6 watts to make both heat and 429 lumens,
my guess is the heat dissipation is going to be less than 8 watts.
The heat sink will hold heat, and if you grab it and hang on,
it will get very uncomfortable..

The glass enclosure (part that looks like a bulb) hardly warms up at all.
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 05:00 PM   #25
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,836
Thanks: 105
Thanked 241 Times in 222 Posts
Default I've got some on the way, that I plan to gift to my daughter.

I'm still waiting for my order from China. But it's only been 11 days..
Dimmable GU10 6W 3x2W LED Spot Light Bulb Lamp Warm White 3200K 450Lumen | eBay

Getting four, to replace the super hot halogen bulbs that don't seem all that safe,
because the metal fixtures are surrounded by loose cellulose insulation in a lowered ceiling.

Specifications:
Base type :GU10(30)
Shell material :High strength glass
Heat sink material :Aluminum, zinc metal alloy
Input voltage :110V-230V
Output power :6.0W
Dimensions :80 x 50mm (Length & Diameter)
Reflector efficiency:90%
Light source :3x2W high power LED
Body temperature :<60C
Color temperature :3000-3500K
Source life :> 50,000 hours
Safety assurance :CE & RoHS
Lumen :430-450 LM
Color : Warm White


Dimming Range:10-100%


Looking at that input voltage range, kinda makes me wonder about the power supply..?.

120vac LEDs bulbs in general.. What up with their power supplies?
Will these things run off DC too?

~~~ Edit~~~

The mailperson just dropped them off. All four are very bright on 124vac.
They will be installed this evening..

Last edited by Xringer; 10-18-11 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Oct 18, China shippment here
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 02:59 PM   #26
milanski
Lurking Renovator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey AC_Hacker,
Any problems with those A27 lamps from China? I'd like to replace 20, halogen Par20 50W in 4" recessed cans. I was considering the Ecosmart PAR20 from Home Depot (8w, 350 lumen, 40w equiv, 'bright white' 3000K), but they are $20 each.

The lamps seem similar. Why does everyone think the ecosmart is $20, and the Chinese A27 is $6? Thanks

- milanski
milanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 06:07 PM   #27
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,997
Thanks: 303
Thanked 700 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanski View Post
Hey AC_Hacker,
Any problems with those A27 lamps from China? I'd like to replace 20, halogen Par20 50W in 4" recessed cans.
milanski,

No problems at all.

The color looks very natural to my eyes.

The dispersal pattern is rather narrow, compared to the 4-LED bulb in the pic, above.

The 3-LED bulbs light intensity is definitely lower than the 4-LED bulb.

$6 3-LED bulb = 700 lumens @ 36 inches (narrower pattern)

$24 4-LED bulb = 1000 lumens @ 36 inches (wider pattern)

Unfortunately, I can't find my Kill-a-Watt to give you a power comparison at this time.

EDIT (11/10/2011): I found my Kill-a-Watt and the power reading from the $6 light is 6 watts, and the power reading from the $24 light is 11 watts.

Considering that I paid the same for 4 of the 3-LED bulbs as I did for 1 of the 4-LED bulbs, I'd say the 3-LED bulbs are a great bargain.

Having said that, each bulb has its place... I'd much rather read under the 4-LED bulb.

The dispersion pattern on the 4-LED bulb really helps to spread out the light.

There does not seem to be any claim that these bulbs are dimmable.

-AC_Hacker
__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 11-10-11 at 12:42 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 06:45 PM   #28
milanski
Lurking Renovator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hmmm,
Strange that they advertise the 6w E27's as 'warm white' but with a temp of 6-8K. Maybe a typo on their part? You say the color looks natural, more like a 3k color? If so, I may pull the trigger and get a few.

Yep, I assumed they were not dimmable. Still, wonder what would happen if I put them in my stove range hood, which has three light brightness settings.

Thoughts anyone? THanks.

- milanski
milanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11, 01:44 AM   #29
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,997
Thanks: 303
Thanked 700 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanski View Post
Hmmm,
Strange that they advertise the 6w E27's as 'warm white' but with a temp of 6-8K. Maybe a typo on their part? You say the color looks natural, more like a
3k color?
Well, I don't have a color temperature measuring device, and I know that it is subjective, but to me the color felt quite natural, with none of the blue cast that I found so disagreeable in earlier LED bulbs.

So, why don't you just get a few, and see for your self? The shipping time was maybe 12 days... not so long really.

It would be a real pain to ship 20 LED bulbs that you didn't like back to China... even if it was all about a failed attempt to try to save 283 bucks.

Just try a couple of bulbs... if you really hate them, you could use them to illuminate your trash cans at night, for the rest of your life (they're supposed to last a really long time).

-AC_Hacker
__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 11-10-11 at 12:43 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 04:10 AM   #30
JYL
Heat recoverer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
~~
Maybe the low lumens per watt of the CFLs is because they are 'Dimmable'?
Perhaps the power supply makes power sacrifices to enable dimming?

Still, down at the table surface, the LEDs are brighter than the CFL spot lights.
The more I used these, the more I like them!
The operating principle of a CFL make them best at diffuse lightning. In fact, to replicate the SPOT function of an R20, R30, etc... mirror are use that lower significantly the efficiency of the bulb. However, at 40 to 50 Lumen/Watt, the CFL PAR 20 are still 2 to 2.5 times more efficient then an incandescent light.

The operating principle of LED make them generate concentrated light.... Even LASER concentrated light if so desired. Consequently, for most lightning requirement, the LED generated light need to be diffused in order to be pleasing. This is a relatively easy function compare to "Concentrating" the light.

Consequently, it is only normal that the LED will overtake the SPOT MARKET before any other market.

JYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design