EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-13, 08:59 AM   #21
stevehull
Steve Hull

Guys - actually the CO2 is currently at 0.0392%, not 0.392% Yeah, it makes a big difference as you are not going to be healthy at 0.392%.

Steve

Old 02-15-13, 10:23 AM   #22
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default The plot thickens

I'll elaborate on my first post, This is the other side of the story, Food for thought ? or are you just going insult me ? for posting an opposition to your beliefs..

As U.S. carbon dioxide emissions continue to decline, one would think global warming alarmists would celebrate the ongoing achievement. Instead, alarmists are ramping up their vitriol. The alarmists increasing vitriol reveals that for many alarmists, the true goal is not a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions, but instead a transfer of wealth and power from individuals to government.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration reports that U.S. carbon dioxide emissions during the first quarter of 2012 were the lowest since 1992. With more and more U.S. power plants switching from coal to natural gas, the decline is likely to continue and the reductions are likely to be permanent.
Don't Believe The Global Warmists, Major Hurricanes Are Less Frequent James Taylor James Taylor Contributor
Is Global Warming Causing A Record Breaking Lack Of Tornado Activity? James Taylor James Taylor Contributor
Good News For Polar Bears Is Bad News for Global Warming Alarmists James Taylor James Taylor Contributor
A Game-Changing Study Finds Half Of Global Warming Is Fictitious James Taylor James Taylor Contributor

The decline in U.S. carbon dioxide emissions is striking when we compare U.S. emission trends to global emission trends.

In 2000, U.S. emissions totaled 5.9 billion metric tons, while global emissions totaled 23.7 billion metric tons. Accordingly, in 2000 the United States accounted for 25 percent of global carbon dioxide emissions.

By 2010, however, U.S. emissions fell to 5.6 billion metric tons, while global emissions rose to 31.8 billion metric tons. Accordingly, in 2010 the United States accounted for merely 18 percent of global carbon dioxide emissions.

If the U.S. emissions reductions in early 2012 hold throughout the year, theyll likely fall to merely 15 percent of the global total.

By the end of the decade, U.S. emissions will most likely decline to approximately 12 percent of global emissions, or less than half the U.S. share in 2000.

Keeping in mind that the United States produces 23 percent of the worlds Gross Domestic Product , reducing U.S. emissions to 12-to-15 percent of the global total is quite impressive.

These reductions in U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are taking place without all-intrusive, economy-wide, government-imposed restrictions. Yes, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulations that economically punish coal power plants are somewhat responsible for the shift to natural gas power, but so too are technological advances and new natural gas discoveries that have dramatically reduced the price of natural gas.

If the alarmists true goal is significantly reducing carbon dioxide emissions, they would acknowledge and celebrate these ongoing reductions. Instead, however, alarmists are doubling down on vitriol and hateful rhetoric.

Consider, for example, Bill Blakemores most recent column

on the ABC News Nature and Environment webpage. Among other things, Blakemore writes that a number of climate scientists have told this reporter they agree with those, including NASA scientist James Hansen, who charge fossil fuel CEOs are thus guilty of a crime against humanity. The traditional punishment for crimes against humanity is execution.

Why is it that so many alarmists are ratcheting up their vitriol and hateful rhetoric precisely when U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are rapidly declining? The answer is the alarmists are motivated more by a desire to reshape society into a government-centered model than they are interested in reducing carbon dioxide emissions. Emissions are rapidly declining, yet money and power remains largely with the people rather than the government. Accordingly, activists ratchet up their hateful rhetoric.

For those who truly care about reducing carbon dioxide emissions, now is a time for celebration. For those who truly care about transferring money and power to government, now is a time to intensify their attacks.

Global Warming Alarmists Seek More Power, Not Emissions Reductions - Forbes
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 02:57 PM   #23
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

95% of the world's scientists are wrong ... global warming is a hoax?
My dad is a biologist ... we've been talking about climate change since the mid 80s. CO2 is way up. The oceans are acidifying. There is measurable sea level and temperature rise. These are facts.
In the 70s here in Canada we were cheerfully killing off our lakes with acid rain. SO2 was the culprit. We put scrubbers on the smoke stacks (oh we were going to kill our industries ... but hey, they survived) and now our lakes have fish in them again.
CO2 is a largely man made pollutant that needs to be controlled to safeguard our planet. Jeez. How hard is that to figure out?
Personally, as I live in Canada, I'm all for global warming. I miss ice fishing on the St. Lawrence (the areas we used to fish don't freeze up anymore), but warmer winters sure are nice. I'm losing my ash trees to emerald borers in part because they overwinter more successfully. But it's firewood and furniture for them. Not sure what I'll plant in their place yet. Ideas?
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 03:29 PM   #24
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Remember 1977??

Ah those were the good old days..

Back then, all the worlds eggheads decided we were all going to freeze..
But, turned out to be a thing called 'weather changes sometimes'..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	time_iceage1.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	3019  
Old 02-15-13, 07:40 PM   #25
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

well. this is the thing about science. it's based on fact and evidence. in the 70s overall temperatures were falling. One note of evidence. White birch began growing south of the great lakes.
If you are not concerned that the ph level in the oceans is changing after being stable for 400,000 years than that is your personal perspective.
If others find this trend worrisome. That's understandable. From personal experience, as a diver, i have seen some of the most beautiful coral in the world. I recently dove Key West. The corals there are dead. Bleached white by increased water temperatures. There are no pretty colours, no wonderous fans, no fish. And, increasingly, no dive tourists.
If the US is reducing CO2 emissions they don't do so in a vacuum. China and India are both dramatically increasing CO2 output.
I've never understood why the US is so anti climate change. Boy it's like they take it as an assault on their ability to drive a car or have a job.
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 08:41 AM   #26
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

"I've never understood why the US is so anti climate change. Boy it's like they take it as an assault on their ability to drive a car or have a job."

I think folks who were once working in the non-renewable energy fields, and now on unemployment, will agree on that last part.
Living in this anti-nuke power country, they think the war on fossil fuels is a very bad idea.

~~~

Not all Americans are resistant to the idea of weather change.
Millions of kids in school are being taught that GW is a fact,
like gravity, it can't be denied. There can be no questions asked.

Since it's way too complicated for non-weather scientists to understand,
people have to take their word for it, "the world will end in 10 years" etc..

Sadly, weather scientists have been guilty of manipulating the data
to prove their 'facts', that can't be denied.
So, they have tainted the debate.. People don't trust anyone who stands
to make an easy living off taxpayers, because they say the world
is going to end in 10 years etc.. GW is very much like a religion.
You just have to trust, to have faith, to believe..

Like televangelist? Yeah quite a bit..
Old 02-16-13, 08:45 PM   #27
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Good Points Xringer.

This is our first time we have crossed this period in time at the top of the Co2 scale. A Good time for Charlatans to rise to the forefront and "tell us how it is". Like they KNOW. They don't. There is NO reason to suspect anything is amiss.
Short of some apparent level headed,Yet grossly misleading people screaming the sky is falling the sky is falling.
Are we sheeple? not using our own mind to weigh the facts? is it our education ?, For our children Yes it is. Children are good Sheeple, easy marks, imprint what you want on them, it will stick, unless their parents wise them up,teach them to think not follow.

Conspiracy theory ? Not likely. its Brainwashing of the masses, no conspiracy there.
Am I officially Crazy now that I have made my own decisions, and chosen to oppose the Global Warming ALARMIST ?
I Am a hard "nut to crack", not going believe Some politicians world wide tour. what an unbelievable scam. Friggen Obvious to anyone with a mind of their own. So once again I will say it is Completely ridiculous and i will add baseless.
Old 02-16-13, 11:20 PM   #28
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
I've never understood why the US is so anti climate change. Boy it's like they take it as an assault on their ability to drive a car or have a job.
Creeky, you're right that there is a substantial portion of the population that thinks like that here. Fortunately we do not all think that way. Americans in many ways have been dumbed way down in the last several years due to the elimination of the fairness doctrine in media around the 80s and the change to news being made a part of the profit center in media.

A large part of the paranoia of the right comes from the constant drumbeat of a "liberal media" to the illiterati of our nation. This isn't even slightly true but it serves to cow the media from being critical of many of the bogus arguments and data coming from the right wing in the USA. So we don't get a balanced news media in the USA which creates distorted views like Ecomodded's views. You can see it in ecomodded's bringing up Al Gore, a hated symbol to the right, to try to rally the troops. It really is unfortunate that Eco continues to push a right wing agenda on a web discussion group that should be not be dedicated to politics but to impartial data and science.
Global Warming is not a political subject and associating the actual science of it, (not the policy regarding it), with politics degrades all of science. This isn't something that is at all new to humankind. It's happened through all human history when people didn't like what they heard, even though what they heard might be correct.

EDIT: Mr Eco resides in Canada so he has no excuse unless he's listening to too much to Mr. Murdoch's media outlets. Actually, in general its a good idea to just turn off the TV and read a good work of literature or a good (non-political) science book.

Last edited by Exeric; 02-16-13 at 11:38 PM..
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 01:13 AM   #29
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Saying that "Global Warming is not a political subject" and also saying it's
"Settled Science" and there can be no debate about it.?.

That kinda makes it a taboo subject that can't be discussed.?. At all.?.

Well, I just want to make one last comment before I unsubscribe from this thread..

If it's really "Settled Science", and we have all the facts nailed down solid..
Can we now stop spending so much taxpayer's money on GW 'studies'??

Can we divert that money to a program that might divert asteroids from impacting the earth??
http://youtu.be/gQ6Pa5Pv_io
Since that's a danger that even us non-asteroid-scientist can understand.

Last edited by Xringer; 02-17-13 at 01:19 AM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 11:26 PM   #30
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Wow
I to Hope the Governments Device a Asteroid Defense system.

We have the Geological evidence Of Asteroids hitting the Earth, its not a uneventful event.it could be a end of Complete races of people. Some may survive, in small pockets around the world, but whole countries and its inhabitants could be lost. Much,much more of a real threat then Our planets cycles.

I found this video link after following Xringer's Above link.
It is much more severe, and less drawn out, about 30 seconds in or so.
I think it could be the same incident, just from a closer vantage point