EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-12-15, 05:22 AM   #31
stevehull
Steve Hull

Pinball, how did you decide on this particular Gree minisplit? Would also like to hear your thoughts on Gree vs Mitsubishi and others.

Ordered though what dealer and again why that one.

TIA,

Steve

Old 08-12-15, 09:18 AM   #32
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

If I lived in a colder climate where it got below 5-0 F and stayed there any amount of time.
I would have gone with Mitsubishi with hyper heat. They just do better in the very cold.

I really liked the Fujitsu units and they get good reviews. But they will not honor their warranty if you buy online. That is just BS and I will not support a company that does this.

The Gree Terra had excellent specs I talked to some local that had been installing them with good results. They have a Mitsubishi compressor. It was on sale so for $1,000 I could see if I could do my own install.
I was able to do it with this forums help and for our climate I love this little unit. We have three of them now and they adjust one degree at a time. You can really dial in your comfort.

They do so well at cooling they are supper energy efficient. In a hotter climate these units are just so good.
They put out very warm heat but they use more energy to heat than they do to cool.

The Mitsubishi was almost double the cost. When I do a DIY project like this one I want good equipment that also has a good payback time.

The first three units I bought from
https://www.acwholesalers.com/index.jsp
I found a good coupon code and they will honor the warranty if you have a receipt that a HVAC guy did the install. Clist probably has someone that will help you out.

They last time these guys we unbeatable on price with a line set and 28 feet of 14-4 AWG 600v wire for connecting the indoor evaporator to the outdoor unit steel shielded.
GREE Terra 9,000 BTU Ductless Mini Split AC FREE 25' Line Set

They will honor the warranty if you have a receipt that a HVAC guy did the install. These guys packed a little better.
Both were fine and shipped out fast.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
stevehull (08-12-15)
Old 11-30-18, 08:46 AM   #33
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I think you can " rent " a vacuum pump from the major , local auto parts stores ?

My pump is a RobinAir that I bought used , from a pawn shop , at least 20 years ago . Of course , it rarely gets used . I change the oil when I go to use it .

Wyr
God bless
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-18, 08:56 AM   #34
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

A pawn shop seems like a great place the get HVAC tools.

My Robinair that I thought would use once. I have used it 4 mini splits and to repair one. I used on my son’s car to repair his AC.
I used my gauges on my son’s car. I even have a container of 410A.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-18, 10:33 AM   #35
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I have a jug of R410A I bought from Johnstone Supply . I took the online study course and test and got the 1st level of EPA card . Think it cost me $ 30 .

I have used the pump 5 - 10 times .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote