EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-11, 03:24 PM   #1
jjm
Lurking Renovator

Default Will this air exchange work?

I am looking for a simple way to bring in fresh air while moving out stale without draft and while preserving as much heat from my electric heater. I recently converted and finished out my garage. There are 3 rooms total. The main room is a 15.5x17x9. The others are 10x7x9 and 5x7x9. Each room is sealed off from the others, well insulated (even the inner walls). I have a wall heater that heats 500sq easily. My main concern here is pressure and air. Above the ceiling is actually the attic that lets in outside air through the soffit.

Would it be possible to put an intake port or vent piped from the attic to the main room, then put a vent in the ceiling with a duct fan for carrying the room air/heat over to the 2nd room, then doing the same for the third room, and finally installing an exhaust vent in the 3rd room that ports back up to the attic? The basic idea is that if the entire garage and rooms are airtight, the moving air would pull air into the main room from the outside and carry existing air through the room and finally out the third room vent. I imagine when I walk into the front door of my house, the rear door in the other room closes. It seems like this basic idea could be used for the purpose I described. I realize that there is no heat exchanger involved, so you would bascailly be pulling cold air into the room. I am not worried about that since the whole process would be gradual and really there to balance the pressure of the rooms and to help move heat.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by jjm; 01-22-11 at 03:37 PM..
jjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 06:26 PM   #2
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Most North American houses have more than adequate air infiltration to cover their ventilation needs. If I needed more fresh air than that, I'd look for a Passivhaus-style ventilation system, where cold air being drawn in to the house is brought to thermal equilibrium with warm air being pushed out. The inlet and outlet will need to be in the same location, but if you want ventilation and circulation in one, you can accomplish that by ducting your air intake or exhaust to different parts of the house.

Btw, you don't need to put your mailing address in the Location field, but something that narrows it down a little more can be helpful.

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote