EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-11, 03:56 PM   #1
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Boiler Short Cycling

I have a question about my boiler. It's an 80yr old fuel oil powered boiler. We live in a 110 yr old house that has cast iron radiators. Every room contains a stand up radiator. We have the temperature set for 68 degrees when we get up in the morning, 62 during the day , 68 at dinner time and then finally 62 over night again. I've noticed that when the thermostat temp changes from 62->68 the boiler burns full blast until it comes up to the set water temp. Then say every 10 minutes it'll come on full blast for 1 minute and then shut down again. Anyone know why it's doing this? My guess is the thermostat is calling for more heat and causing it but the boiler can't go above the set water temperature ( aquastat i think it's called? ) Is there a way to stop this? My guess is that it's inefficient. If I can't fix it it's not a huge worry, I plan on installing an air source heat pump with my tax return this year

cholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote