Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-13, 09:55 AM   #17
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default CO2 Jihad & Its Consequences...

Yeah, this CO2 Jihad I'm on is becoming a real education.

I really had not anticipated the effects of CO2 concentration due to gas appliances. I've had all the classes, passed all the tests, etc. but I guess that true awakening comes late to the oxygen-starved brain.

I have a 2 foot wide full-on commercial gas stove (not a commercial style stove, the real thing) in my kitchen that I really love to cook on because of the control and raw power (4x - 35,000 BTU burners + mega oven). The oven does have a big exhaust port on the back, so there's hope, but the burners not only put out awesome heat but, as I am learning awesome CO2 & CO. I might be able to get it all to work out if I got a righteous range hood and restricted the options of escape for the CO2.

So, I'm doing some serious re-thinking of my cooking arrangements.

I do have an exceptional electric convection oven down cellar that I usually use for big meal over-loads. I could make that available for regular service.

I looked previously at induction cook tops, and I understand their efficiency, but considering their payback, I wasn't very impressed. However I wasn't aware then, as I am now, of CO2 concentration problems and how convection tops could eliminate those problems.

Factors that favor induction cooking are that like gas, they are quick-on and quick-off (I have come to regard this as essential) and they all seem to have a timer (timed on & timed off) built in to every element. My bachelor brain really likes this idea.

For me, the argument against induction is that I have acquired over the years a very fine and expensive set of triple ply non-induction cookware.

I have also become aware that my other gas appliances, a gas dryer and a gas demand water heater, are not venting their exhaust gases completely. The CO2 levels I'm seeing are significant, but not critical... not like the 'ventless' heater. I think I can work on them and improve their performance. Neither of them comes with it's own fresh air input... they were built before fresh air was needed... back when houses leaked like a sieve and CO2 concentrations dissipated out through thousands of cracks.

Although it has not been so bad in recent years, in my area, we have had winters when we lost electricity for up to a week, and it was the gas stove with it's faithful oven that saw my family through the outage. Repeated experiences like this have made me deeply convinced of the wisdom of having multiple heating sources.

BTW, I just did some quick searches on induction cooktops and have come up with interesting information both pro & con that I will explore more fully in a separate thread.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 03-29-13 at 10:54 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote