EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-20, 01:24 PM   #11
Daox
Administrator

More progress today. I found a panel that had two leak points in it. I haven't done much sweating of pipe, but I managed to get them sealed up.

How it was.

Cleaned up and ready for flux.

Yay, no more leaks.

I also had this one to fix up. Cleaning it out was a pain. I used a file and sand paper to clean the area. It took a while and two attempts, but its sealed now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201103_105805949.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	9116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201103_111250898.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	9117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201103_111514303.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	9118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201103_113855992.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	9119  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 06:34 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Today was the last day of pressure testing. Everything has now passed. Hurray!

The next step is to start assembling. Today I got the inserts all put in the cases, and all the inserts got a new thin coat of flat black paint (in the picture is still drying).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201105_154449755_HDR.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	9120  

&
Old 11-06-20, 01:06 PM   #13
Daox
Administrator

I have a question about the reassembly of these panels. The glass on them has a rough texture on one side of it. I assume this is to refract light and even out the distribution over the panel. My question is, should it be on the outside or inside?

&
Old 11-11-20, 11:04 PM   #14
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
This part is all easy. The hardest part is actually removing the PEX lines. Once they're crimped on there they are very hard to pull off, even after cutting the metal crimps off. If anyone has any tips on how to remove PEX lines from then fittings it sure would be nice.
A very sharp knife and a lot of care! When I have to remove PEX fittings I cut a deep slit into the pipe the length of the fitting following the line of the pipe, but not down to the fitting. At the end of the fitting I cut right into the pipe for about 1cm. Then bending the pipe at the fitting the slit should open up and you can recover your fitting. Be careful not to cut into the fitting as if the ridges are damaged it can leak - particularly the plastic fittings.

Personally I wouldn't use PEX tube for a solar installation. In the past I used a plastic pipe (not PEX) and with the combination of heat and pressure it ended up popping.

Also, if you do use PEX be aware that some (maybe all, I don't know) is very susceptible to UV and degrades and ends up leaking. In Spain the most common is a translucent white PEX and I have seen lots of instances where it has been installed outside by inexperienced people and then has started to leak - I've changed lots to copper. It seems to last about 5 years before failing. It ends up very fragile and almost crystalized, if you try to expand it it just splits so repair is impossible.
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 11:59 AM   #15
solarhotairpanels
Helper EcoRenovator

My only addition to this thread is beware of stagnation temps using PEX. I would stick with black automotive type radiator hose with stainless clamps or solder copper to join collectors. Just my 2 cents...

Personaly I've been using the automotive radiator hose on my 2 evacuated tube collectors for over 8 years now and no leaks, no issues.

Good luck! looks like a fun project for sure.

Please Note:
Comments and/or suggestions I make here at the forums on 'your' projects as well as my own have all been carefully and scientifically calculated by 'the seat of my pants'
solarhotairpanels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solarhotairpanels For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-22-20), skyking (12-24-20)