EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-13, 05:40 PM   #21
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Yes I got a factory made and insulated line set. Will do on the drain. Thanks for the tip.
My tools probably won’t be here for a weekend install be we will see.

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 05:18 AM   #22
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Yes I got a factory made and insulated line set. Will do on the drain. Thanks for the tip.
My tools probably won’t be here for a weekend install be we will see.
You can start the install . Prepare the place the outside unit is going to be set / located . Run the A/C power to the outside unit . Scope out where the indoor unit will hang & the hole in the wall to feed the line set through .

Screw the mounting bracket to the wall & maybe cut the hole in the wall ?

Are you running the line set down an outside wall ? I used some white metal down spout gutter to cover the line set .

MiniSplitCondensor07-06-2013_zpse6aecf0f.jpg Photo by WyrTwister | Photobucket

With a disconnect and liquid tite flex to cover the electrical .

MiniSplitCondensor07-08-2013_zpsaf78ed8f.jpg Photo by WyrTwister | Photobucket

You can gather incidentals , like screws , hand tools , the black sticky " cork " insulation tape ( to cover / insulate the service valves & remainder of the copper lines ) , metric Allen wrenches for the service valves , etc. .

I assume you will be penetrating an exterior wall for the line set to go through ? Is the exterior wall brick ? You will need a core bit and rotary hammer drill .

Otherwise , you will most likely need a hole saw and a drill sufficiently powerful to operate it . Most likely a 1/2" drill .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 02:11 PM   #23
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It is all coming together. I got my nitrogen gauges in the mail today. My manifold gauges come Friday.
Micron gauge and Vac pump will be here Friday and mini split Thursday. I pick up my rental nitrogen cylinder tomorrow.

I got the wire, breaker and disconnect switch flexible conduit 3" hole saw.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 10-09-13 at 03:16 PM..
Old 10-13-13, 09:01 AM   #24
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
Just a heads up that you may find you need fractional, not metric flare and/or crow's foot wrenches. Check your equipment and lineset when you get them.

Best I remember , mine were metric ? Used the crows foot on the 3/8" torque wrench . Set at 03:00 o'clock or 09: 00 o'clock position ( perpendicular to the handle of the torque wrench ) .

I read that would give the most accurate reading with such a set up . Used a flare nit wrench , for backup , on the small line .

On the big line , best I remember , I did not have a crows foot large enough for the big flare nut . I used the crows foot and torque wrench on the " body " of the fitting and a big crescent wrench on the big flare nut .

The paper instructions had a typo on the torque specs . I had downloaded a pdf file of the instructions . They had the correct info .

So , if the numbers do not sound right , double check .

My outdoor unit had a plastic fitting to go on the bottom . Instructions said this is a drain for water , when the HP went into defrost and melted frost . Some / most of the water may run down inside the metal housing .

I bought a few feed of hose to go on the plastic fitting , but the fitting stuck down too far to allow the unit to set level , on the concrete .

Another trip to the store & bought 8' of 4" x 4" treated post . I cut 2 blocks for the " feet " of the out door unit to set on & screwed the " feet " to the 4" x 4" blocks . This gave plenty of clearance for the drain fitting and hose .

MiniSplitCondensor07-04-2013_zps7dfe4994.jpg Photo by WyrTwister | Photobucket

God bless
Wyr
Old 10-14-13, 09:07 PM   #25
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tips I just ordered a 24mm crowfoot. I hope to do the install this weekend. All my tools except 24mm crowfoot are here. The Mini split is here vacuum pump gauges.... I can’t wait to get this installed.
Old 10-15-13, 12:30 AM   #26
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Thanks for the tips I just ordered a 24mm crowfoot. I hope to do the install this weekend. All my tools except 24mm crowfoot are here. The Mini split is here vacuum pump gauges.... I can’t wait to get this installed.

Best of luck . Please let us know how it goes . The good , the bad and the ugly . :-)

And photos are nice . :-)

God bless
Wyr
Old 10-18-13, 08:26 AM   #27
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am one step closer. My 24mm crows foot came in the other ones are flare nut wrenches. But I was not finding a 24mm flare nut crows foot for a decent price. This one should work fine.

I will post the good bad and other with some photos when I am done. Hopefully it will help others I know the post here have helped me get this far. Without reading post here I wouldn’t even have taken on this project but now I am excited to do the install.

I found a guy (HVAC one man company) to bless my install and sign the card for a decent price.

You can find all the tools I bought for the install it this post.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...nstall-12.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131018_091421.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	3496  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 04-26-15 at 12:36 AM..
Old 10-18-13, 09:34 PM   #28
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Default Crows foot

Quote:
I am one step closer. My 24mm crows foot came in the other ones are flare nut wrenches. But I was not finding a 24mm flare nut crows foot for a decent price. This one should work fine.

I will post the good bad and other with some photos when I am done. Hopefully it will help others I know the post here have helped me get this far. Without reading post here I wouldn’t even have taken on this project but now I am excited to do the install.

I found a guy (HVAC one man company) to bless my install and sign the card for a decent price.
I bought a Harbor Freight metric set of flare nut crows feet and " open end " metric crows feet . 19 mm was the biggest in that kit . :-(

God bless
Wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; 10-18-13 at 10:06 PM..
Old 10-23-14, 12:17 PM   #29
yeltrow
Lurking Renovator

Default Heat Pump Gauges?

This is a GREAT thread. Getting a shopping list confirmed by knowledgible people is VERY helpful. Thank you to all of the contributors.

I saw some "Heat Pump Gauges" on Amazon (Search for item B004N157NC ). I'm new enough I couldn't post a link. Any drawbacks to purchasing these to do some diagnostic work on my heat pump? I would like to install a UV dryer on the system to help find a very slow leak.
yeltrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 10:37 AM   #30
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

There is a complete list what I used here.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...nstall-12.html