EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-17, 02:53 PM   #91
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Enphase has an installer android app for your phone. You just pick the array and scan the barcodes on the microinverters it updates them all for you very simple.
http://www.enphase.com/sites/default..._manual_EN.pdf
That was several years ago. Today I would put my Android on the stick, slide it under the module and read the bar codes!

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 08:41 PM   #92
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
That was several years ago. Today I would put my Android on the stick, slide it under the module and read the bar codes!
Yep . Solar edge has apps now .
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 08:45 PM   #93
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Conduit

Im going to run emt on the roof. Obviously because the fact that it will probably last the longest. But for the underground run. It only seems smart to run it with pvc. Running on the shop to almost the ground a few feet . To a junction box i bought . I dont really like wire nuts . I want to make some type of bus bar deal. Any of you done this . And my wire is 10 guage pv wire to the junction box . Is there any way to transition up to a 8 guage wire from the 10. For the run. Or would it need to be 8 guage all the way or 10.

If any a you done somethin simular maybe ground mount . How did you transition to pvc.
Old 11-26-17, 05:35 PM   #94
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Im going to run emt on the roof. Obviously because the fact that it will probably last the longest. But for the underground run. It only seems smart to run it with pvc. Running on the shop to almost the ground a few feet . To a junction box i bought . I dont really like wire nuts . I want to make some type of bus bar deal. Any of you done this . And my wire is 10 guage pv wire to the junction box . Is there any way to transition up to a 8 guage wire from the 10. For the run. Or would it need to be 8 guage all the way or 10.

If any a you done somethin simular maybe ground mount . How did you transition to pvc.
You can use a PVC box and drill it for EMT or you can put a threaded end on the PVC and I think you can get an adapter coupling to EMT.
Old 11-28-17, 08:38 AM   #95
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I just talked to my wholesale supplier. She gave me the lowdown on modules and microinverters (optomisers - SolarEdge). She said the SolarEdges' are taking the lead although I imagine Enphase is still a good choice. Lots of installers want SE and they run well (some of the very early SE's failed in systems I installed).

Solar World modules are very good, not that other manufacturers don't make good modules. With the tax coming the first of the year (thank you Trump and the Fossil Fuel Industry (Koch Brothers)) we may see prices go up as much as 30 cents a watt, they're not sure.

Racking - Iron Ridge seems to be leading.

So that's the low down from my commercial supplier. I think if you're considering modules or systems now might be a good time to look into them.
Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Robaroni For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (11-28-17)
Old 11-28-17, 07:28 PM   #96
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well . Sounds like i done a good choice on optomizers and racking . Not sure on the panels . (yet)

Did some awful trenching . I have more roots than i knew . Think it was the most work for the job . Almost done . Was dark and to cold to fool with it to night . THink i will need more conduit . Always more of something seems . But went ahead and got 500ft of the 8 guage wire . Going to go ahead and plan ahead so when i add another 5 or 6kw. I will have the wire there ready . Maybe will be a little easier.
Old 11-29-17, 12:28 AM   #97
mikey85
Lurking Renovator

This is a very helping discussion on solar power.
mikey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 09:19 AM   #98
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Bundle of pv wires through and not sure what ones what.

Well had something i didnt think about until after i had run the wire. I got all this wire ran. Hardest part was the trench. Got to thinking . What wire is what . Im pretty sure that they make a like coax to map the electric wires . But i dont have that tool . Nor will need it . So i improvised . I had a 12 volt lithium drone battery i had used when lights go out and a 5 meter led strip. I red to one wire and black to the other. Went all the way to other side . And done the same just with the light until it lite up. Then i marked the + with red electrical tape . Ground with green. And - with the black. Will probably get some heat shrink wrap this will probably be a lot more secure on the wire than electrical tape.
Old 12-04-17, 10:16 AM   #99
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I just used colored electrical tape in the boxes.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...iAAEgK5FvD_BwE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 06:46 PM   #100
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well the shop held up to snow . Have never seen that much snow ever. Strange site to see in ms. I figured if it survived I done right.