EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-10, 06:39 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default A Green Cemetery Grows In Houston

Well, this is a little bit of an odd topic, but I'll share my views. I've personally never really understood the point in being buried in a fancy box. I'm dead, what do I care what happens to my body? Take what organs you can use to save others and do whatever after that. I guess I always planned on being incinerated. This doesn't seem like a bad alternative though.

Quote:
Green burial is part of a growing movement to eliminate toxic chemicals and persistent materials from burial ritual by skipping embalming, concrete vaults, tombstones and expensive metal caskets.

It’s not only better for the planet, but it saves cash, too. Green burials cost about one-third the price of traditional ones. Plus the dearly departed gets to play in nature again, literally becoming trees, grasses, flowers, and critters.
A Green Cemetery Grows In Houston | greenopolis recycling rewards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 08:09 AM   #2
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I agree with you. I'm donating any usable organs for transplantation, then what's left is being donated to science.

Some religions don't allow anything but burial, and some require the whole body.

As for the casket thing, I think it has to do with status. Gotta impress your family and friends (or your family has to impress their friends) on your way to the hereafter. You (or your family) wouldn't want anyone to think that the only thing you could afford was a cardboard box.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 04:15 PM   #3
tasdbois
Lurking Renovator

This is a great idea. I took so much from this planet that the least I can do is give back what little can be of some use to it. Having death becoming part of daily life by making a cemetery a park is also a great thing. It changes the perspective as marking death not as an end in itself, but a continuum. Our loved one were born from the earth, grown from it, and returned back to it. I like it a lot.

tasdbois is offline   Reply With Quote