EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-12, 12:25 AM   #1
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Blown insulation over batts w/foil barrier?

I have R-19 with a foil radiant barrier laying on top of the existing batts. I'm wanting to get to R-60 and looking at blown wool/fiberglass on top of that. Looks like HD carries the Owens Corning stuff called AttiCat which doesn't compress as much as cellulose, and I'd put down like a 12"-14" of that.

Any possible problems with moisture or otherwise since that barrier would be in between batts and blown? Or maybe I'm on to some new technique with this application?

eco dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 12:10 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

You should really remove the foil barrier since it will act as a vapor barrier and help trap moisture in the existing batts.

Also, I'd still recommend cellulose over blown fiberglass. The advantages are numerous but top on my list is lower cost, using a mostly recycled product, and less variance in R value. The compression issue with cellulose IMO isn't a big deal at all. Just be sure to compensate for it by blowing in an extra inch or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 12:51 PM   #3
WD-40
Lurking Renovator

I installed a breathing foil radiant barrier as you explained.
There are 2 types of foil radiant barrier, 1 is a vapor barrier, the other isn't.
Most likely what you have is breathing foil radiant barrier.(has small holes in it to breathe)
I can't see anyone putting a vapor barrier on top of insulation as it would steam up and rot underneath.
WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 02:26 PM   #4
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Yes, the foil has small holes in it. Ok, so I'm reading review where some people really talk about how much the cellulose really compresses. I also like the lower cost too, and I'm gonna go for like R-60+ anyway, so maybe like 12-14" of it.
Old 06-19-12, 06:05 PM   #5
S-F
You Ain't Me

Blowing cellulose over fiberglass is a bad idea if you don't want mice in your house. Mice love fiberglass for some reason. They don't really like cellulose though. So if you put R 41 of cellulose on top of fiberglass you are effectively creating a very warm and cozy space for them to bed down. In my experience this ALWAYS happens. I have never seen an exception. No amount of cats in a house will keep them out in the winter. And I also highly recommend cellulose. Forget cost. It's better for any other number of reasons. The only, ONLY, benefit I see to other forms of insulation is that the foams have a higher R value. Cellulose has so many perks that there is literally thousands of pages written about it.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 11:31 AM   #6
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Also, how do you keep it away from air exchange handler and other such equipment in attic? How do you keep it from "falling into" such equipment? I'm thinking of making some cardboard walls around it where it could topple...thoughts?
Old 06-25-12, 05:10 PM   #7
S-F
You Ain't Me

That's a simple one. Just put that stuff somewhere in conditioned space where it belongs and you're all set

Wait... your air handler is in the attic? Just wrap that stuff in FSK, like the code requires,

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
Old 06-25-12, 05:19 PM   #8
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Uh, I dunno what FSK is?

Just to be clear, since I may not be calling it the correct name, the fan that blows the cold air is my attic, so that's what I called the air handler, is that correct? My furnace (LP), is also up there in the attic too.
Old 06-25-12, 05:24 PM   #9
S-F
You Ain't Me

Yeah the air handler is the thing that has the fan. FSK is a duct insulation. It's nasty. It's a foil faced, treated fiberglass. It smells like all the fury of hell. There are special ways to apply it so it can maintain its R value along the entire circumference of the duct.

Don't put insulation on the furnace........ Just in case you were thinking I meant that too.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-25-12, 05:43 PM   #10
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

S-F thanks for your help! So, my plan was "mastic the hell" outta the metal duct work. My supply tubes that distribute the air are pretty good. I had got up there a few yrs. ago and zip-tied everything back together, but I got spots where the outter plastic wrap has just fallen off.

Can I just take that FSK stuff and wrap it in those spots where the plastic came off, and on a few of the places where it splits?