EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-08, 09:04 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default What to power with a simple wind setup

I think wind is a majorly underused source of power. Of course I've looked into small scale residential DIY kind of stuff. A simple wind setup would be a small windmill, charge controller, small battery bank, and a power inverter if you want to use 110V. The problem I always seem to have is what can you actually power with a simple wind setup? I'm thinking things like lights (CFLs of course) and fans. These things don't take lot of power but you find yourself using a lot. Anyone have any other ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 09:35 AM   #2
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Your 1.4W LEDs
Your radio alarm, your radio
Your battery (AAA&AA) charger, your mp3 player, your cell phone
Your small fridge (the 6 beers model
Your Internet router, your wireless router
Your laptop, but only a few hours a day
Your TV decoder and TV set, sorry.

But like with simple solar systems, simple wind systems will not deliver a lot and will never pay for themselves, except if you DIY some parts and get second hands for other parts.

See my calculation for a single 24/7 20W laptop on a "simple" solar system.

I heard that where there is the most wind, a wind system generates a third of its maximum. Where I live it's a tenth so only for the wind mill it will pay for itself in 20 years. Add the charge controller, the batteries and the inverter...

What is the most expensive is the batteries. I would like to have a system that connects directly to the internal electric network to feed a part of the little 24/7 electric systems.

Denis.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 09:16 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
What is the most expensive is the batteries. I would like to have a system that connects directly to the internal electric network to feed a part of the little 24/7 electric systems.
I've talked with a few guys about how to get used free/cheap deep cycle batteries. I've had recommendations to stop by semi repair shops and boat shops to see what they have as far as used batteries. This is by no means perfect, but it is definitly cheaper than new batteries!

I think if you can get a small bank of batteries, build a windmill yourself and get a descent charge controller and power inverter you should be able to make a small, but fairly inexpensive and cost effective system.

I too would LOVE to have a grid tie inverter so I could sell back power to the utility. However, I've heard that the cheapest ones are very close to $1000 (US). That would by far be the largest chunk of the entire systems price.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 06:21 AM   #4
toyobug
avid DIY'r

I have found alot of answers on this site:

Wind FAQs
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 10:10 AM   #5
toyobug
avid DIY'r

with the grid tie you have to keep in mind the cost of using a Licensed electrician.
Old 10-27-08, 10:30 AM   #6
Blister
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
with the grid tie you have to keep in mind the cost of using a Licensed electrician.
I wish that was all I had to worry about here concerning grid tie. If one has hopes of selling power back to their local power company, they should look into it first. The whole system is set up from a corporate mindset and is geared to allow the power company to still profit.

A few things to remember are that 1) They often have excessive restrictions on equipment that can be used to produce the power for a grid tie system. Most wind turbines and solar installations must be manufactured by commercial entities to meet the strict requirements. The power company here actually has a pre-made list of brand names and models that are acceptable. A home built machine does not fall into the "acceptable" category even of it was constructed by an electrical engineer and approved by a licensed master electrician. They don't really want to buy your power.

2) You wont get anything near the price you pay for power out of the power you produce and sell back to them. Most power companies have a set price they pay for power from residential sources and it is well below what one would think they should get.

My advice is to check in to ALL of these things before attempting to purchase a grid tie system.
Blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 08:43 AM   #7
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

Man I wish grid tie was affordable.

If you cam come up with some sort of transfer switch (charge based) that would be awesome. You could even run a fride or similar sized load.
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 03:58 AM   #8
toyobug
avid DIY'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
Man I wish grid tie was affordable.
DITTO!!!

Quote:
If you cam come up with some sort of transfer switch (charge based) that would be awesome. You could even run a fride or similar sized load.
I'm sure most have seen or heard of the generators that are tied into your home. Don't these use some sort of switching mechanism to allow them to come on when a power outage is detected?
I'm still learning about grid-tie systems myself but couldn't something like that be used, or at least technology along those lines?
Anyone???

Last edited by SVOboy; 09-30-08 at 08:38 AM..
Old 09-30-08, 08:39 AM   #9
SVOboy
Administrator

Food for thought: V10 (vawt,savonius,vertical axis,windturbine,ametek)
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 01:05 PM   #10
toyobug
avid DIY'r

i'm curious to know how well it works. Looks simple enough to build. Any one thinking of building one?