EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-19, 04:23 PM   #11
dguzzi
Helper EcoRenovator

Our company has 128 panels @365W, made by Jinko Solar
We are using 2 Solar Edge 20kW 480v 3 ph inverters

I know its not simple home type system but it sure drove home the affect it has on our billing. Net metering is active and easy to watch and monitor.
I would love to get a similar (but smaller!) system at home.
My research indicates 8kW would give me everything...I'd be happy with less so I could afford it!

Last edited by dguzzi; 05-18-19 at 05:57 PM..
dguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 09:08 AM   #12
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

Good survey I am amassing my PV capabilities one panel at a time. I used to DIY 60W panels by buying the separate PVs and soldering for hours. That was 8 years ago and I figured making them myself cost around 65.00. Since then, panels have come down so far in price that I am buying 100W Monocrystalline panels from Renogy for around $115.00/ea. I also bought a no-name brand 'flexible' 100W mono on eBay for $105.00. For my battery bank, I use 'Duracell' 6V batteries form "Sam's Club" for around $85.00/ea - I've had these batteries for 6 years and they are still working fine. My goal is to amass 17 - 100W panels to run my house hold eventually.
vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-19, 08:43 AM   #13
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhead77 View Post
Good survey My goal is to amass 17 - 100W panels to run my house hold eventually.
Kudos to you, to have your energy demands low enough that 1700 rated watts of solar can power your home!

Our 6810w would cover our usage for about 10 months of the year until we converted our gas furnace to electric, and it fell to about 7 months of the year. Then, we bought our Bolt. Now, maybe 2 or 3 months. I have plans for an off-grid array of about 3600w, connected to a critical loads panel on a transfer switch, mostly to entertain myself as I head towards retirement. I'll have to have something to keep me going.......
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 07:48 AM   #14
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

I should be clear that I'm only interested in running all of my lighting, computer, WiFi, a couple of 115V outlets for use if needed, and 'emergency' use refrigerator or appliances. The only thing I'm not prepared for is a keeping my 220V deep well pump going during an outage. I have purchased a 'hand-pump' and plan on spiking that into the ground for emergency water source. I heat with wood and that would be my source for 'hot' water if ever the situation unfolds. Ideally, my house would run most everything on 7.5 kwh but that's a bit of a reach for my financial situation. That scenario would be to install about 30 X 250W panels or 75 X 100W panels - and a battery bank big enough to deliver.
vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 04:01 PM   #15
mab
Lurking Renovator

Default Where purchased?

In addition to the price being paid, I'm also interested in where folks are getting their solar equipment. Right now I get email from Renvu, and it looks like there are good deals with them. There must be other places.

Thanks,
Mike
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 09:31 AM   #16
SgtNarc
Lurking Renovator

MAB,
I have been looking at Renvu for awhile now and they have good prices but you should look at CivicSolar. I am getting ready to pull the plug on a grid-tied 14kw system and will keep this forum updated.
SgtNarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 09:41 AM   #17
mab
Lurking Renovator

Thanks SgtNarc. I take a look at them.

Mike
Old 09-07-19, 07:13 AM   #18
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The Renvu's of the world tend to sell at a higher cost per watt.
Cheaper is to find deals locally. Most areas have a guy or six making some extra money by selling solar panels and equipment. Usually there are local companies making a living selling solar equipment. A local dealer will supply both a better price and better advice.
For instance. Those 100w mono from Renvu for $115usd mentioned. You are much better off buying larger panels at 300w or up. I'm "one of those guys" and I sell 305w for under $200 canadian dollars. Really, if you're paying more than 65 cents a watt for A class panels you're paying too much. I have panels from .53 cad right now (B grade, 285 mono).

I like Canadian Solar. A customer put in a 9 panel array for his cottage (I do off grid systems only) and he's pulling 344w off of the 305s. I like it when customers are happy.

Silfab is also an excellent brand, scoring in the highest watts/$ in industry polls.

In Canada we look at 2.50/w installed on grid tie. I think in the US its around $2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog that is down right now but will return
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 01:03 PM   #19
mab
Lurking Renovator

Thanks creeky, I'll look around.
Old 09-14-19, 11:22 PM   #20
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtNarc View Post
I have been looking at Renvu for awhile now and they have good prices but you should look at CivicSolar. I am getting ready to pull the plug on a grid-tied 14kw system and will keep this forum updated.
I've got parts that came from CivicSolar, parts that came from Renvu, parts that came from SunElec (in Miami), and some other places. My last major order came from Renvu, and I hope they fired the first guy who packed my order (the first time). The second pallet of panels arrived in fine shape. The first pallet of 20 panels were a broken, jumbled mess that would make anyone on this forum cry, because I'm sure they were in great shape when they left the Renvu warehouse in California, but when the common carrier showed up at my house with the pallet of 20 panels that obviously were not stacked with corner blocks between panels, not stacked on a proper sized pallet, and not properly strapped down to be moved with a fork lift?? When the first shipment arrived, it was a jumbled mess of broken glass and twisted aluminum frames that I took photos of and refused to sign for!!

Deal with whoever you want for this PV gear, but pay very close attention when you take delivery of your panels. Even reputable places who deal in warehouses full of panels (like Renvu), can hire people who don't understand what happens to freight in transit using common carriers. Make no mistake, Renvu replaced my entire shipment of 20 panels, but I'm glad I had the freight insurance, and glad Renvu was able to provide a replacement set of panels out of their warehouse that matched what I originally ordered. (Florida has a limited list of panels they accept for use on systems in FL, even for personal home use. As a result, I really have to pay particular attention to what I'm ordering before I pull the trigger.)

In the end, I certainly have no issue with using Renvu again. They acknowledged their mistake in the original shipment packaging, and replaced my entire order. If I had been using them as my supplier to make a great deal to a client, the situation would have been vastly different than me buying gear for my own personal projects.

Certainly Creeky's advice of supporting a local supplier also gets you in touch with locals who can potentially support your new "habit", because honestly these PV arrays are addicting.

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote