EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-08, 05:49 AM   #1
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Warming & Insulating Brian's Kitchen

So i've definitely complained enough about this on here, but for those that don't know the details, here they are...

My Kitchen was extended about 2 years before I bought my house. Inside, it really added a lot of space to what was already there. But, the extension is hanging over air, not over my basement like the rest of my house.

Every winter the kitchen, which has real tile flooring, is probably a good 10 degrees cooler than the rest of my house. To make matters work, the floor on the extension part is probably a good 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the kitchen itself.

Probably a year an a half ago, i went into the crawl space under the kitchen and noticed it looked like there was no insulation. WOW. So, I added a layer of insulation, and enclosed it with 2x4s (not a lot of room to work, this seemed easiest.

Next winter that didn't seem to help at ALL. I went around w/ expanding foam and another layer of insulation, and added all that. Still no luck.

So that brings us up to the last month or so.
So far I've closed off everywhere inside that looks like it could be letting air in, and then yesterday I began prep work to add a moisture barrier over the last layer of insulation I added under the kitchen. Today I will hopefully get all of that up.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the work...

Caulking

Under my kitchen

insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 02:36 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

Looks good! It's too bad you can just throw in baseboard heating...I've only been in one house with that kind of system but it was heavenly in the winter.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 05:29 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

What do you think you have for R-value there? You might need to add more insulation. Other than that, I'd try to block the holes in the brick so there is no breeze going through there (but leave it vented). Fiberglass is known to let drafts through it. The vapor barrier will help that too.

Its gonna be hard to get the floor (low, cold air) warm, especially when its hanging over something even colder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 05:45 AM   #4
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Well, i started yesterday. It is taking longer than i expected, of course, but i'm happy w/ the progress. and nothing looked like it fell down during the night. I used liquid nail EVERYWHERE, but where there was wood, i used a staple gun to at least hold everything in place, then liquid nailed it shut. I need to pick up a few more tubes of LN, and some spray foam that i'm going to double check everything being sealed.

How do I seal off the bricks but still leave it vented? that i'm not sure on.... but yes, there is a LOT of open area in the bricks that allow to much wind to pass through.

I wanna say I used two layers of R19 insulation... BUT, i think most of it is compressed, which of course hurts it's R value.

I would TOTALLY throw a baseboard heater there if possible. Hell, i wish my whole house was electric baseboard, lol. that's what my parents house was, and i was never cold... except, that i never saw their bills, lol.

i'm planning on sticking one of THESE on the wall on the over hang, and since it's a concentrated heat, it'll point straight down and warm up the floor, i can throw it on a timer to come on w/ my main heating system in the morning. Though, my wife keeps telling me NO... but i'm gonna do it anyway.
Old 10-22-08, 10:32 AM   #5
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Come winter, I close off my foundation vents. They're concrete blocks like yours, but not nearly so open. Humidity is not an issue during the heating season. I use that foam board with the shiny outer layer, cut to size and wedged into place on the inside.
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 10:52 AM   #6
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

hmm, sounds like an idea
Old 10-22-08, 11:37 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, I was going to say something like that, or just a plastic put up against the brick. Maybe poke a few holes in it so it can breathe.

Good point on moisture not being an issue in winter though PaleMelanesian. What do you do during spring then, just take them out? Are there any issues with snow melting?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 02:54 PM   #8
toyobug
avid DIY'r

what about using straw bails under that area? I don't have any experience with them, just came to mind.
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 04:58 PM   #9
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I just take it out when it it gets warm enough to start doing yard work again.

Snow's not an issue here in Texas. Sorry, I can't advise on that.
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 06:15 PM   #10
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Ok, 95% done. will probably just stick some wood panels in front of the holes, and there are a lot of em.

Here's the outside, so you can see what it looks like.

And now underneath.

Tomorrow i'll go back around with some spray foam and make sure everything is air tight. And then we wait and see!