EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-15, 07:09 AM   #1
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default 11,000 BTU DX GEO Heating

Howdy again, as some of you know I have a few projects that are still in the design stage, mainly due to money issues and an unsure time frame of a off grid dream.
This build is not limited by either one. And will help give me real data for the 4 ton DX system if I do ever decide to go through with it.

The Plan:
My greenhouse is 24 feet by 16 feet, and is built onto the front of my house so only 42 feet of liner wall space, 7-8 feet high, is triple walled 8mm poly panels. Same for the roof. I heated it with wood last year but I hate having 2 fires going plus I would like to heat my fish tank water in the aquaponics system.
The Idea:
The 17 feet deep 2-3 acre pond is 75 feet from the greenhouse. I want to run a loop of 300 feet (total 150' to and 150' back) of 1/4 or 3/8 copper into the pond. 75 feet of which will be buried 6-7 feet deep all the way to the pond, then the rest will be sunk 6 inches from the bottom of the pond.
I have a spare 6,500btu rotary window unit that I will be harvesting the compressor and evap coil/fan from. Here is where it get tricky. I want to put in a 3 way valve setup on a thermostat that is in the fish tank. It will bypass the evap coil to a non copper coil (copper bad for the fishes) in the fish tank.
Parts Needed:
Compressor I already have
Evap and fan I already have.
Thermostat I already have
300 feet of either 1/4 inch or 3/8 copper tubbing. (ideas? I thinking 1/4 should be ok, but that is a lot of resistance for a 6,500 compressor.)
Oil separator, Jeff5may, you posted a picture of a small oil separator in the 4ton thread, I'm having the worse luck finding one small enough for half ton. Do you happen to know where that image came from? Or does anyone know where to find one? I know they are used on extreme computer chillers but have been unable to find where they get them, because most are not built in the states. I found this one Q E HVAC R Refrigeration Oil Separator 1 2" ODS New | eBay but I know its too big and will probably not cycle the oil back at the right time/volume for a small compressor.
3 way valve. I'm thinking this will be fine, Ranco V3 310081 7GD B1227308 3 Way 1 2 Ton Reversing Valve 10283 | eBay

I will start building just as soon as parts arrive, I'm tired of keeping two fires going in the winter.

Thanks guys!

MEMPHIS91 is offline   Reply With Quote