Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-10-16, 07:32 PM   #1
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Nevada starts to pull the plug on solar subsidies

Nevada starts to pull the plug on solar subsidies | Fox News

"Nevada starts to pull the plug on solar subsidies"..

Wow, net-metering phased out..?. How the heck are they going to do that?
Won't that be like stealing power from the PV owners?

Old 08-10-16, 07:47 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

How do they determine this?
“Until now, Nevada homeowners subsidized roughly 17,000 customers with solar panels, to the tune of about $16 million every year.”
So if they end net metering other power users will have their bills drop by$16 million every year.
I don’t think so.

They have raised the solar user base meter fee from $12.75 to $38.51 a month.
You could end up paying more putting in solar that if you did not.

Power companies get guaranteed return on their capital investments. They will not do the same for solar producers.

This is sad and could move across the USA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 01:16 AM   #3
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

When Nevada first changed the interconnect and net metering prices earlier this year, my first thought was that Solar City instead of pulling their operations from Nevada should instead have taken the fight directly to the utilities. They could have leased enough battery packs and backup generators at cost to any customers who still wanted to lease their panels and go off grid. This way the non-solar customers wouldn't be burdened by subsidizing solar customers, the power companies would not be burdened by solar customers using their transmission and distribution lines and solar customers would not be burdened with traditional utility companies. Solar City makes a good portion of its money by claiming the 30% federal tax deduction since they actually own all the equipment. They make some of their money from be able to depreciate all the equipment over time. And then of course there is whatever formula there is that allows them to charge a lower amount on the electricity and pocket the difference between the power company and the consumer.

I know some of you think it's a silly idea to go off grid when the power company has a line directly to your home already, but doing so is the only way I can think of to not have to follow fluctuating rules. It just depends on the individual. Most people are perfectly happy paying the utility company every month and admittedly there are times when doing so makes a lot of sense economically. A few of us are not that happy about it. Full disclosure...I rent and am not currently allowed to install panels on the house.

I wonder if Mr. Musk will have anything to say about these new developments since he now or soon will be basically in charge of Solar City. I would assume he couldn't at this time use that new five billion dollar battery plant near Reno as an economic wedge but if everything goes as planned he may well have that possibility in the near future.

OK, rant over.
JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 09:16 AM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

This looks like Koch Attack on Solar Energy
Nevada's Solar Net Metering Fight Gets Personal

Here is another article on it.
Does Nevada’s Controversial Net Metering Decision Set a Precedent for the Nation? | Greentech Media

From this chart it looks like they want to pay them below wholesale for their power.
Here the power CO retail is 10 cents but wholesale is 4.2 cents they want to pay 2.6 cents for their solar and charge $38.51 meter fee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NV1.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	7139   Click image for larger version

Name:	NV2.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	7140  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 08-11-16, 04:14 PM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

No panels going on my roof.. But I am trying a 'green' supplier..

"Clearview Energy offers low fixed rates and green energy plans"..
It might even be cheaper than the default supplier.?.
https://youtu.be/2OjWSQRjwuc

If it works out the same or cheaper, I'll stay on one of their Green plans..

Last edited by Xringer; 08-11-16 at 04:54 PM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 04:33 PM   #6
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I really hope they come up with good battery management for all these EV car battery packs.

It would be so funny if storage cost could come way down and all the solar producers could just go off grid. The power companies are required to have so much power from solar and they get a lot of it from customers. Then most of the solar producers went off grid they would have to get more solar from somewhere else.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 08-11-16, 10:20 PM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I should feel lucky we had solar bill passed last year that grandfathered us until 12/31/2025.

“ under the agreement, a customer-generator taking service under any net metering rates resulting from the agreement has the right to remain on that rate through December 31, 2025. This provision includes protection against any new separately stated charges or fees that would apply to Distributed Energy Resource customer generators.”

Hopefully by then storage solutions will be much cheaper.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -