EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-17, 06:40 AM   #31
sbkenn
Lurking Renovator

Default Going off grid

Buy or build a CHP system. Water cooled diesel engine driving a generator. If you can, do it with belt drive to mains alternator, add a 24V alternator to directly charge batteries, and run the cooling water through your radiators and to heat domestic water. Belt drive also means that you can run the engine well below rated RPM (you will probably need an electronic speed controller though). An exhaust cooler will further reduce waste heat, as would a turbine on the exhaust to drive a 2nd 24V alternator. I intend to drive a brushless DC motor of the type used in hobby drones*. I have something similar, but I want to add an electric heater in the water circulation to get the temperature up more quickly. The more heat that you can use, the more efficient the whole system is. I estimate that I am getting 90% efficiency.

* these motors are rated by power and KV, KV is the RPM per volt (or volts per RPM !). In this scenario, RPM will depend largely on how much current is allowed to flow. Make sure that you get the permanent magnet variant for use as an alternator. You will also need a 3-phase bridge rectifier that will handle the current. The power that these motors can produce is phenomenal.
APS 4260S Sensored Outrunner brushless motor 100KV 1200W

sbkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 10:14 AM   #32
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

With the water being hard rain water sounds more appealing.

I like the idea of a underground storage tank and DC pumps to get it out.
With it being underground it stays temperate to avoid making hot water in the summer and ice in the winter.

I would definitely add a large aerator / bubbler to the tank

Some Ozone o3 can be added to via a bubbler to provide sterilizion. Ozone has a Super oxidation effect that sterilizes

People drink ozone water , (cautiously) for its health benefits but it can burn tissue if in high concentrations.

I look at it as a disinfectant not a health drink

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 11:51 AM   #33
oil pan 4
Land owner

At some point I would like to have a stationary backup 1800rpm, liquid cooled kubota diesel generator . I have even been looking for an old timey cast iron radiator to put in the house to cool engine coolant. The only exhaust turbines proven to work are turbo chargers. A turbo charger on a diesel engine will improve fuel economy by 10% to 20%. For 1L kubota I would use a K03 turbo or RHB21 turbo.
I am actually planning on turbo charging my 2cyl 700cc kubota tractor, I will know for sure which turbo to use after this.
For stationary engine exhausted coolers I was going to use large diesel truck EGR coolers since extracting heat from exhaust is precisely what they were designed to do, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Right now I have 2 generators. Both 3600rpm gas guzzlers. One is 7kw and the other is 17.5kw.
To get lower voltage DC I was probably going to take a GM DR44G alternator and convert it to external rectification and excitation and power it with a Honda GX200 engine.

My highly proprietary 1.6kw industrial/municipal UV tubes generate ozone. Ozone's half life is about 90 minutes. The peak spectrum is 256nm, think of it like the radiation that keeps on killing.
I was planning on running a bubbler when the UV system is powered up to increase the amount of ozone.
It uses so much power I will not run it all the time, just as needed, which is still to be determine.

I already have the perfect spot picked out for the tank.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 12:48 PM   #34
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

That uv system sounds like a behemoth being made for a municipal water supply. Do you have photos or whats the model ?

It should take of your needs plus some

Also 1600 watts of UV light would likely fry the eyes out in short order as they warn you not to look at the 25w uv bulbs , be careful with it !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-17, 07:34 PM   #35
oil pan 4
Land owner

When I power one of these tubes up to full power in atmosphere any bugs that fly near it die or have their wings singed off.
They are used to sterilize 250 to 300 gallons per minute with clear water.
These tubes are made by atlantium, it there 155mm tubes and they cost around $700 new.
Old 10-25-17, 10:51 PM   #36
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I looked into the tubes they are something , the newer model had a safe viewing port under a flip up cover quite scientific looking being made of stainless and quartz.

Beastly too

Old 10-26-17, 01:29 AM   #37
oil pan 4
Land owner

I only can get ahold of the tubes. The full reactor setup is a few hundred thousand dollars.
Old 10-26-17, 07:57 AM   #38
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Nice thing about well water is no bird poop it should be drinkable right out of the tap
In many parts of the country, well water contains lots of agricultural chemical residues and by-products, and also traces of antibiotics that enter the water system through septic systems. Rainwater sounds good as an alternative.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:37 AM   #39
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

You know things are out of hand when farms turn toxic and poison the area.

They obviously need to change practices Im lucky being in the mountains our water is from rain water collected in small mountain lakes

Old 10-26-17, 10:20 AM   #40
oil pan 4
Land owner

I'm going to get the water tested first.
Plus my tremulous over kill UV system has the power to decompose complex organic molecules then the ozone will oxidize whatever is left. Not to mention what it will do to bacteria, protozoa and fungi.

Tags
cistren, rain water