EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-19, 03:17 PM   #1
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Default Wireless temperature sensors that support logging?

I'm looking to find a way to monitor temperatures from multiple locations. I'm trying to monitor supply and return temperatures from the furnace, as well as the temperature outside, and the temperature for each of the 4 levels of the house. Is there a handy tool that allows me to have a bunch of wireless sensors that to together to log temperature data? I search Amazon and it seems the closest I can find to this is a 3 sensor system plus base station, which would be enough if I decided to ignore certain things that I would like to monitor, but it doesn't log.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-19, 10:48 AM   #2
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

You might try the RC airplane world. I know they have wireless telemetry sensors but not to what extent they could help.
JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 05:32 PM   #3
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Try this outfit: https://www.onsetcomp.com/products?f...bulary_14%3A54. They make quality products at a reasonable price.

A couple of us used some of their MX2001 and U20 water level and barometric pressure sensors for a research project last summer. They worked well.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 09:03 AM   #4
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

ESP8266 temperature sensor modules sending measurements to a Raspberry Pi.
Old 12-22-19, 10:45 PM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
ESP8266 temperature sensor modules sending measurements to a Raspberry Pi.
This looks like the level of functionality I was looking for. The price point is nice. I'm still trying to figure out all the pieces I'll need to get this working, but I think I'll figure it out. I'm looking at the instructables link and some of the spec sheet stuff and can feel my brain drooling a little bit. It seems like these Arduino and Rasberry Pi systems should be simple but I'm really going to need to dig into it to get my head around it all.
Old 12-24-19, 03:06 PM   #6
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

If you use an 8266 and an Arduino, chances are very good you can copy the code from the internet. Most sites will give you code and a wiring diagram for free.
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 12:15 AM   #7
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Check out the dewpoint monitor I made https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5023 this uses UDP to communicate rather than MQTT so no need for a MQTT broker. I also use the same method using UDP to communicate with wireless thermostats.

Although I'm not logging (which is easy enough to add) I display all my sensors as individual web pages on a combined single page.

If you use the ESP8266 to log the data then just be aware that it has EEPROM memory so you can destroy the memory if you write to the same location too many times. It may be better to add SD card support and log your data there as there is better wear levelling support built in.

Let me know if you need any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensors.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	8801  

Last edited by Acuario; 01-11-20 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Add picture
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-20, 08:49 AM   #8
theCase
Lurking Renovator

While not "exactly" what you requested, this may work:

It's a small add-on board that reads four DS18B20 sensors, does all the nasty decoding, and provides a simple text file with the readings to a serial port (USB). This can handle 30' cable lengths and other versions have up to 8 sensors. Cost is around $40 with four sensors.

I'm using this with a Raspberry Pi to do logging at my cottage, then use a windows PC to grab the data and further massage it. Future plans are to use the Raspberry to control the boiler...

I've already "rolled my own", reading the DS sensors with the PI, but this is so, so much easier. Good luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Channel-T...QAAOSw5VtaMpnY
theCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-20, 02:07 PM   #9
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I originally wanted to do this to balance the HVAC airflow in my house, to monitor the temp rise of the furnace to replace the filter when airflow begins to drop, and to compare energy usage to the outdoor temperature. I've abandoned the project because the airflow balance isn't that critical or even that adjustable unfortunately. I can always pull nearby airport data to compare energy usage.

I already have a temperature sensor in the nearest vent to the furnace and it gives a rough idea of the temp rise after 20 minutes of furnace run time compared to the temperature on the thermostat. I replace the filter as soon as the temp rise is 5 degrees higher than it originally reads with a fresh one. It's interesting to see how the temp rise is almost always 75 degrees for three months or so and over the course of the final month it will creep up a couple of degrees and in the course of a week it will go from 80 degrees temp rise to 85 degrees suddenly. They free flow well and once they start to clog the remaining 'tiny holes' flow the rest of the air that the clogged holes can't and the filter flow rapidly diminishes.