EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-20, 07:48 PM   #31
antdun
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Nice... I watch the video nice install.
I 100 agree EV cars a solar really go well together.
have you figured out your saving form not buying gas now?
According to my expenses that I track through Mint.com in 2017 I spent $2,098 on gasoline and maintenance on my two gas vehicles (2009 Honda Pilot, and 2013 Hyundai Sonata) and that doesn't include insurance since that's roughly the same now as it was then.
In 2016 I spent $2,104 on the same
In 2015 I spent $2,948 on the same

The average of those three years is $2,383 per year I was spending on vehicles that I am not spending anymore, except I still purchase tires for my electric vehicles, windshield wiper fluid, windshield wipers, and cabin air filters (Tesla only). I'm sure in the future there will be miscellaneous repair costs but so far that hasn't happened.

If we want to only look at gasoline I spent:
2017: $1,391.85
2016: $1,216.81
2015: $2,267.85

I certainly don't buy gasoline anymore AND I save the time not going to the gas station (and waiting in line if I go to Costco)

pinballlooking (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 08:30 PM   #32
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

I posted about our PV system and electric LEAF back in 2017, and thought I'd update a bit. In March we bought a newer used Leaf, a 2017 to replace our 2013 which we sold to one of our sons. My wife had been saving $150 a month which is what she figures we save by driving the Leaf instead of our old Chevy Metro which died a violent death when the front A-frame failed while driving. We averaged over 40mpg with the Metro, so our savings figure is based on the detailed budget and financial records that my wife has kept for the last 45 or more years. The savings factor in more expensive insurance on the Leaf, more expensive tires on the Leaf, and almost no fuel cost because our solar electric production would only be worth about 3 cents a kilowatt hour if we "sold" it back to the utility instead of using it to replace gasoline. Also we have installed a pair of mini-split heat pumps for heating in the fall and spring when it isn't cold enough to have our wood furnace going all day, so we are using our summer surplus production in the fall.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WisJim For This Useful Post:
antdun (11-09-20), pinballlooking (08-03-20)
Old 08-04-20, 10:10 PM   #33
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?
JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
antdun (11-09-20)
Old 11-09-20, 10:40 AM   #34
antdun
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Nice... I watch the video nice install.
I 100 agree EV cars a solar really go well together.
have you figured out your saving form not buying gas now?
My Honda Pilot was getting 18-19 mpg and in the last 18 months I've put 32,037 miles on my Tesla Model S. I've still never spent a penny on electricity in all those miles (I think of my solar energy as pre-paid electricity until I break even then it'll be free and much of this charging was free at Superchargers). If I'd spent $2.50 per gallon to drive those same miles in my Honda Pilot getting 18 mpg I'd have spent $4,449 on gasoline, or $247 per month. If the gasoline was $2 per gallon, and I got 19 mpg then that's $3,372 or $187 per month.

I have been keeping track of my solar production vs what my home and cars consume and I just created a YouTube video covering the last 3 years which you can watch here if you're interested. https://youtu.be/4h01UEAOPns
Old 12-23-20, 01:27 AM   #35
pawanranta
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Nice job! Your PV system looks great!

I also just got my first electric bill which included a COMPLETE month of solar production. It was a $40 credit!
Great job! What battery storage system you have put in place?

Does the battery system work with in home display energy monitor?

Last edited by pawanranta; 09-17-21 at 05:41 AM..
pawanranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-20, 12:32 PM   #36
antdun
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawanranta View Post
Great job! What battery storage system you have put in place?
I don't currently have an energy storage solution. I'm hoping I get enough Tesla solar referrals that I can get a free Tesla Powerwall. I only have 4 more referrals out of 10 to go!
Old 11-20-23, 03:55 PM   #37
antdun
Lurking Renovator

Here we are 6 years later and my solar panel array has broken even on the installation cost! If you're interested in more details about how this all played out I created a video here https://youtu.be/m_UNWLxNehU In short I've loved having solar and it's set us on a fun path of lots of other things related such as electric cars and a off-grid solar setup on our RV.

Tags
diy, rec, snapnrack, solar, solaredge