Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-09-13, 01:57 PM   #11
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTwoPonies View Post
re figs and grapes - fantastic! I know figs grow like crazy in PDX - I'm in the mountains but was wishing I could put in some figs, maybe using a greenhouse. I do have one grape plant that survived the ravages of the deer, and it makes a fantastic summer shade screen. (Currently have a very rustic lattice on that side for it to climb on. Light in winter, shade on the cement in summer!)
KTP,

Check in with some local nursery people they would hve the last word on whether or no there was a fig variety that could survive in your microclimate.

You might be surprised!

-AC

Old 05-09-13, 10:53 PM   #12
blamberson
Lurking Renovator

Default Roof Sail?

I spent many years as an outfitter and we protected our tents roofs with a waterproof fly. it was very labor intensive to maintain a cover over a small 16 foot by 20 foot tent, so I can't imagine the problems with something similar to cover an entire house.
I would suggest insulation and air space built into the roof would be a much more effective way to accomplish the task.
blamberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 09:42 AM   #13
Bosco
Lurking Renovator

Hi

What is the construction of your house?

I live in Western Australia where we have very hot summers.

Our house is constructed of brick walls with an insulated steel roof and large verandahs on all sides of the dwelling. To combat the effects of the strong sunshine we open the doors and windows at night (we have security screens on doors and windows) which allow the free passage of air. This allows the night time air to cool the brick, which keeps the house cool during the day and the effect of the sun is diminished by the verandahs which prevent the sun from directly heating the brick walls.

This may not be applicable to your house but we find it an effective way to keep our house cool.

As regards the shade cloth roof, I have found that this principle is effective, having installed 'Solar Roofs' over several buildings to reduce the heating effect of the sun. This primitive technology is applied in many situations in Western Australia including static caravans and other buildings that do not benefit from natural shade.

Bosco

Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote