EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-12, 11:55 PM   #21
6Monty6
Lurking Renovator

Thanks Daox. Lint-I had planned to put a stoppered hole in the bottom of barrel so that I could just roll it outside, take the lid off, and hose it out, but there was just not that much lint.

The biggest difficulty in making this was getting the machine oil out of the barrel (including the smell). I used a match and news paper out in a field. Be careful.

Improvements....#1 I don't think the 2-liter bottles hold too much heat. I would recommend trying aluminum cans of Kroger diet tea or something uncarbonated. (unopened) #2 I plan to pull in air from the outside to heat so as to dampen the amount of cold air leaking into the house when the dryer is blowing air out.

6Monty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 09:46 AM   #22
MaxHedrm
Lurking Renovator

A couple things. I agree that the back pressure would be too high in your design. You might be about to keep the pipe continuous if you could find something more water resistant & rust proof than cheap galvanized dryer vent pipe. You should also avoid those kinds of right angles since they catch lint.

As for venting the dryer internally, that's probably a bad idea if you have a gas dryer, for an electric, it might work.

What about an air to air heat exchanger? Not as efficient (especially since you couldn't have much to increase surface area on the inside of the dryer pipe), but it might work.
MaxHedrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 01:00 PM   #23
Solaris
Uber Effecient

Simple solutions:

1/ Hang your wet clothes on a rack, and use a dehumidifier to dry them. Not only does it work well, but the small compressor has a COP of ~ 1.6, so it heats your home while taking the water out of the air and making it more comfortable in the 40% RH level.

2/ Buy a Bosch dryer that uses a compressor in the above maner, as an appliance solution. They save a lot, but are more expensive.

3/ Use a stainless steel 4" pipe inside a 6" pipe as an exchanger. Allow slope for condensation and a drip outlet for water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 03:02 PM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Or how about this idea that can combine moisture removal with ventilation:

Build a dryer cabinet (located above the furnace) as was shown before in another posting, with vent holes to allow for some normal air circulation. Then make a good-sized vent in the floor in the floor of the dryer cabinet that would open to the furnace area below. If your furnace is dated and needs combustion air that is not supplied by a direct pipe to the furnace, when it fires up it would suck air through the drier cabinet, thereby getting rid of moisture and also making one last good use of the warm house air before it is sent out to the great heat sink in the sky.

This idea would particularly lend itself to enclosing the furnace inside it's own space.

-AC