EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-13, 11:07 AM   #1
Pirate
Lurking Renovator

Default Heat for clothes dryer idea

Here is an idea I saw on a sailboat about 15 years ago, and thought it might give someone some ideas.
The boat had a built in clothes fryer drum, that had the hot air coming off the refrigerator, ducted to heat the drum. Not sure, but I assume it was wired so the drum turned, when the refrigeration compressor came on.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 09:41 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I guess I wasn't aware that fridges really put out that much heat... Anyone have any numbers they could run?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 05:45 PM   #3
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I just had an idea from the fridge exhausting thread. You could plumb the fridge exhaust so that it was loosely coupled to the dryer suction inlet. That way, when the dryer operated, it would naturally suck warm air from the fridge. The increased airflow should help the fridge's efficiency, and the heat would be recycled to dry clothes, a double whammy!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 05:51 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The amount of heat rejected from a refrigerator is minimal and doesn't usually run long enough for a full dryer cycle. Dryers also need max CFM air flow and ducting the fridge into the dryer might be a net loss in and of itself. My fridge 150 watts and runs for 10-15 mins at a time. Dryer has an element in it that produces 33x more heat than the refrigerator when it is switched on.

Your gains will be very minimal in theory but if you are ducting your air flow through the dryer outside the small period of fridge operation, you'll likely be doing damage to the refrigerator efficiency. I can't see a worthwhile net gain here and see plenty of flaws in the effort. Might help if this is all timed for the recovery of a defrost cycle though, that's a good 30 minutes of runtime while cooling off a hot freezer coil and using higher compressor amperage.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 06-10-13 at 05:54 PM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 06:57 PM   #5
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I'm not saying to reroute ALL the intake air, maybe just run a dryer hose so it covers up a few louvers on the back plate of the dryer near the blower intake. The suction would be a couple mm of water, enough to help the warm air through the hose while both units are running. Similarly, the discharge of the fridge could be coupled loosely enough not to drastically reduce airflow while the dryer isn't running. If it worked in a sailboat, it could work in a house. Total improvement in efficiency would be better than that of your average law firm.

Last edited by jeff5may; 06-10-13 at 07:19 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 08:41 PM   #6
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Was it a gas fridge?
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote