EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-14, 07:39 AM   #221
Daox
Administrator

I am stapling through the tongue. I agree, a 18 gauge staple would be great. But, the gun only shoots 20 gauge. The next flooring stapler I could rent shoots 16, and that is too big for the flooring.

I had turned up the pressure to the gun a bunch of times. It just didn't work.

In any case, I worked on it again last night. I predrilled and used 3d finishing nails on it. It wasn't much faster than the stapler, but it also wasn't as frustrating as there was no dinking around with bent staples. We worked on it for about 5 hours and got as far as shown below. It looks like two more good nights of working on the floor to finish it up.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboofloor.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	4326  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 08:21 AM   #222
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Halfway there!

I was a bit confused by "3d" nails. I thought all nails were 3 dimensional...

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 09:04 AM   #223
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
...We worked on it for about 5 hours and got as far as shown below. It looks like two more good nights of working on the floor to finish it up...
Wow! Looks great. Loads of nice aluminum, close-spaced, thin floor topping... should be way efficient.

I must have missed something... what is the apparent hole in the floor in the lower right quadrant?

BTW, do you have any idea what your combined $/ft2 breakdown is for just the hydronic built up part (no floor topping & associated nails)?

That would be:
  • PEX
  • aluminum spreaders
  • plywood
  • tar paper or other underlayment
  • anything else?

I keep hearing about floating "click together" floors... ever heard of such a thing?

Looking good...

-AC
Old 04-22-14, 09:30 AM   #224
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

We put click flooring in. Very easy to work with. Very convincing appearance, too.

There was a problem with the older stuff as it was a press-board type of core, so if you have a spill, you must wipe it up immediately in case it gets in the cracks and causes swelling of the material.

A friend of mine had to re-do a chunk of his kitchen floor after his water cooler sprung a leak and caused the flooring to get all swollen/lumpy along the seams.

There is also high-traffic, spill-resistant (vinyl), commercial grade stuff available.

Old 04-22-14, 11:03 AM   #225
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
We put click flooring in. Very easy to work with. Very convincing appearance, too.

There was a problem with the older stuff as it was a press-board type of core, so if you have a spill, you must wipe it up immediately in case it gets in the cracks and causes swelling of the material.

A friend of mine had to re-do a chunk of his kitchen floor after his water cooler sprung a leak and caused the flooring to get all swollen/lumpy along the seams.
Thanks, good info!

Quote:
There is also high-traffic, spill-resistant (vinyl), commercial grade stuff available.
The industries that produce this stuff have squashed the vital information on the toxic effects of vinyl, whose effects become magnified when you reduce infiltration.

Please research this issue.

I'm preparing to do a room in a very similar manner to Daox's, and I'm going to use Marmoleum, which is really just a German version of old-fashioned linoleum (linseed oil + clay + other fillers), but they guarantee no toxics... very important to me on a heated floor. I got lucky and found an attractive roll of Marmoleum in a salvage center for 50 cents/ft2. I think Armstrong linoleum (not vinyl flooring) is pretty close to the German stuff... and if you are really resourceful, it can also be found for a song.

Can you imagine spending winters in a very tight house, like Daox is building, with heated, radiant floors that were covered with toxic, out-gassing, hazardous materials?

Oh yum.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-22-14 at 11:16 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (04-22-14)
Old 04-23-14, 07:29 AM   #226
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I must have missed something... what is the apparent hole in the floor in the lower right quadrant?
That would be my cold air return vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
BTW, do you have any idea what your combined $/ft2 breakdown is for just the hydronic built up part (no floor topping & associated nails)?

That would be:
  • PEX
  • aluminum spreaders
  • plywood
  • tar paper or other underlayment
  • anything else?
I don't know off hand, but I'll try to find my receipts and add them up for you.

Quote:
Looking good...
Thanks!

&
Old 04-23-14, 10:23 AM   #227
Daox
Administrator

Phew, its been a few long days / nights, but it is done. We worked on it for another ~5 hours last night and finished it up. The drilling and nailing was much easier overall, though still not quick. It does appear to be a little less noisy on the nailed portion too. Overall, I'm really not worried about it. I've been told the floor has to settle in and it will most likely quiet down. We will see though since it will be heat cycled a lot more than a normal floor would. In any case, last step is the trim!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboofloor02.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	4340   Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboofloor03.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	4341   Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboofloor04.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	4342  

&
Old 04-23-14, 10:25 AM   #228
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Looks good!

But you're going to be heating your cold air return.

Old 04-24-14, 03:20 PM   #229
Higgy
The Gardener

Quote:
Looks good!

But you're going to be heating your cold air return.
I was actually thinking the same thing.

Looking good Daox!
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 04:00 PM   #230
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

... or cooling the juice in the pipe.

Pipe-wrap those suckers!

Tags
bamboo, diy, flooring, hydronic, remodel, superinsulate