Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-11, 09:47 PM   #1
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Default I need an introduction to Solar Power

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can provide me with some resources on understanding solar power and basic knowledge on how to utilize it.

Most internet searches I do result in websites selling plans on making your own solar panels or windmills

I realize some people are capable of this, but not this guy I am comfortable spending some money on small working solar panel and attempt to figure out how to use the power it generates in small projects to get me started.

What I am looking for is a way to understand what is required in the process of doing a solar powered project.

I understand that I will not be able to directly power 110V household device from a solar panel, but there have to be some simple projects I can experiment with to develop a working knowledge of solar power.

For instance, I would like to try and heat a Hot Water Tank (Decommissioned gas or electric) using solar power during the day. It would not be my primary hot water source, but a hot water "pre-heater" water source to aid my "grid-tied" hot water tank (or on demand unit one day in the future) so it does not work so hard heating water from ground temps.

I am already practicing many conservation techniques to reduce my gas/electric/water usage overall, this is just one thing that I would like to attempt as, well... from my point of view, it appears to be less cash intensive than a big grid-tied solar array and battery bank inverter setup.

I like the idea of small projects that I can pack up and take with me as I move. The house I am in is definitely not our long-term dream home, therefore the big ticket green investments will wait until the perfect house is found.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Heck lets start smaller and see if we can raise the temp of my daughter's kiddie pool with a solar panel!

davranyou is offline   Reply With Quote