Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-13, 06:45 PM   #11
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Thanks guys.

I did notice that the MC-4 cable I'm using is 10 ga.

I measured, and the distance comes out to about 25 feet from the solar panel to the charge controller in the garage. Then the cable I have to the Citicar or motorcycle is a 25-footer, but that's already 6 Ga.

One thing I've also never really got my head completely wrapped around is grounding requirements for PV.

I can see there's several grounding points on the panel frame. I guess it makes sense that the frame should go to earth, just because it's up in the air, and there can eventually be a large static charge difference between the frame and the earth.

Do I just need to run a green or bare wire straight from the frame into the ground? I could keep a ground wire INSIDE the conduit, and run it all the way into the garage. From there, it could go to a ground on an electrical box / breaker box, etc, etc.

Any advise? Thanks!

I finished properly mounting the panel today, which included adding extra rafters to the club house, so that there's real strength under where the panel mounts down.

I also mounted a weatherproof box to the end of the peak of the roof, and cut 3/4 plastic conduit, ran it down the side of the playset, dug a trench to the garage, drilled a hole in the wall, to get the power inside. The wires aren't run yet, and I haven't glued the PVC conduit yet either.

I also made some additional cross-bracing for the playset from some 3/4" metal conduit. I pounded the ends flat, drilled a hole in either end, painted them green, and mounted them to the frame.

More photos and videos soon!

-Ben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photovoltaic, playground, solar, swing