EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-13, 12:31 PM   #21
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-40-gal...6AAG/100183332
Yep, trailer trash. Just be sure and get the "primo" extended warranty with it. If something fails, don't worry about repairing it. Just rip it out and haul it back for "in-store replacement". It's the new world order.

Last edited by jeff5may; 12-27-13 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: words
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 12:45 PM   #22
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

As far as furnaces in the attic , sooner or latter someone ( in my case , me ) is going to have to get up in the attic to work on the thing ! Not good ! :-(

Hope they have the furnace filter located in a single , large , return air grill ? Hopefully accessible from below ?

The furthest HW consuming devices are in the back bathroom . It serves the guest bedroom , which is seldom used . It will have to wait for an upgrade . Other than , maybe insulating the HW line , as far as I can get to / reach . I am too old and fat to get under the actual bathroom ( under the floor ) . I can follow the HW line across the guest bedroom ( under the floor ) . Pier and beam house .

Good news and bad news . I have also traced down a water leak , inside a wall in the main bathroom . The leak is bad news . That I found it is good news . There is some crazy plumbing in this house . That is not uncommon to houses that have been added on .

The water leak is unrelated to the grumbling / belching WH .

Last weekend , I replaced 2 faucets and overhauled a third .

The fun just never ends ! :-(

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 07:46 PM   #23
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
...The tankless "under-counter" units are the most efficient, but generally will only supply one faucet. They are meant to be run using the cold water supply for a source. They depend on a flow-meter (not a thermostat) to energize the heating element. They generally will not provide much more than 1 GPM of hot water, and exit water temp is very much a function of flow rate.
If I'm not mistaken Daox has been using a demand electric that will fit under the sink (I still think he should put it there... most used faucet, etc.), and it DOES HAVE a thermostatic heat control rather than flow rate control.

He's been using it for a year and a half, as I remember and seems pretty happy with it.

Maybe he'll chime in here...

-AC
Old 12-31-13, 08:38 AM   #24
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
The gas WH is starting to grumble , burp and belch . :-( Approaching the end of its useful life .
I thought this meant it was way past time to drain and clean the tank because it is has a lot of hard water deposits in it. Lime.
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 08:47 AM   #25
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgeo View Post
I thought this meant it was way past time to drain and clean the tank because it is has a lot of hard water deposits in it. Lime.
No doubt you are correct . Like most people , I have been negligent about draining the tank .

Will drain the tank , if the drain is not plugged with lime .

It is in an interior closet ( not in a garage with concrete floor ) . If a water hose on the drain valve does not work , that is as far as I will go .

Space limitations and the possibility of water leakage / damage are an over riding matter .

The gas WH is 10 to maybe 15 years old . It is a standard 5 - 6 year unit . I think replacing it is a wise move . Especially before I get too old to do the work .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote