EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-11, 01:16 PM   #21
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Today the inlet air temp is 17C (62.6F) and the outlet temp was 54C (129.2F) and I just stuck my glass thermometer in the outlet for less then 3 minutes, didn't want to break my thermometer already broke one (dropped it). That gives me a 37C (98.6F) temperature rise, might still need a bigger fan.

Last edited by madmike; 10-05-11 at 09:15 AM..
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 01:18 PM   #22
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, I think I'd go for more airflow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 08:47 AM   #23
cdig
Helper EcoRenovator

How did you get a uniform curve on the top and bottom edges? did you use a giant compass or something?!
cdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 09:04 AM   #24
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdig View Post
How did you get a uniform curve on the top and bottom edges? did you use a giant compass or something?!
I used a piece of string and a nail and pencil, I think I had 87" or 89" for the radius. My panel is 45" wide and the center of the curve is 3" higher then the edges. I just marked the one end, cut it out and then marked the other piece with the first one. Once the second one was cut out I clamped both pices together and sanded both pieces at the same time. It actually turned out pretty good considering I only had an old cheap jig saw to cut the ends with. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-05-11, 09:30 AM   #25
cdig
Helper EcoRenovator

thats exactly what i was thinking of doing but figured I'd ask. I hate reinventing the wheel
Old 10-08-11, 01:14 PM   #26
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Just a little update. Well after having only 2 hours of usable sun shine in the last 3 days the temperature in my garage was down to 14C (57.2F). As of noon the temp has climbed to 17C (62.6F). The fan has been running continuously for about 2-1/4 hours now. The inlet air temp is 17C (62.6F) and the outlet air temp is 50C (122F). By the way outside temp is 6C (42.8F). Panel has had full sun for about 1-3/4 hours. Looking good so far
Old 10-08-11, 03:24 PM   #27
cdig
Helper EcoRenovator

That rocks mike, very encouraging! I'll be very interested to see what kind of temp differentials you're getting when winter sets in. What's normal and extreme low temps for your area? We normally get an average around -15 to -25c from november/december to march/april with a few cold snaps around the -35c mark in january. I'm picking up my glazing next week, so construction on mine should start very soon. still need to pickup a fan and solar panel, but at least i can start building once i have the glazing.
Old 10-08-11, 03:34 PM   #28
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
That rocks mike, very encouraging! I'll be very interested to see what kind of temp differentials you're getting when winter sets in. What's normal and extreme low temps for your area? We normally get an average around -15 to -25c from november/december to march/april with a few cold snaps around the -35c mark in january. I'm picking up my glazing next week, so construction on mine should start very soon. still need to pickup a fan and solar panel, but at least i can start building once i have the glazing.
Pretty much the same as you but probably windier here.
Old 10-18-11, 03:04 PM   #29
cdig
Helper EcoRenovator

Picked up my acrylic today! Got to thinking tho, how did you deal with thermal expansion/contraction of the glazing? has it pulled away from your sealing at all? did you just drill holes through it and screw it on? Seems to be what everyone else is doing, but nobody seems to have any problems with this approach?
Old 10-18-11, 09:47 PM   #30
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Picked up my acrylic today! Got to thinking tho, how did you deal with thermal expansion/contraction of the glazing? has it pulled away from your sealing at all? did you just drill holes through it and screw it on? Seems to be what everyone else is doing, but nobody seems to have any problems with this approach?
I just used silicone and then I used 4 inch aluminum facia on the sides to help hold the glazing in place. The top and bottom I used aluminum drip edge to hold glazing tight on the ends. I cut the drip edge every 2 inches so it would follow the curve nicely.

If I were to redo the glazing I would try to find 1/8 x 3/4 inch butyl tape, ift would probably work better with the expansion and contraction of the glazing. I would also just make a straight box, (no curve on the front) the you can finish the box on all sides with the aluminum faciato make a nice professional looking panel.

Tags
air, collector, hot, solar