EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-10, 03:01 PM   #1
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Default New Lurker Here

Hi Everyone,

I finally registered so I can look at the attachments and pics that go along with these posts. I am always looking for ideas on reducing energy usage so I guess it is time to be a registered lurker!

Davin

davranyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 03:29 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site Davin.

Do you have any specific area of interest or just anything in general? Care to share with us anything you've done recently?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 04:27 PM   #3
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site Davin.

Do you have any specific area of interest or just anything in general? Care to share with us anything you've done recently?
In preparation of winter I reset my front door and spray foamed (great stuff) the jam to frame. The builder used one single screw to mount the latch side of the door jam. Constant use of the door led to the jam and door being way out of alignment to the point of me being able to squeeze my pinky finger into the gap.

Also put up dual cell fabric blinds for the front main window (North side of home) for which, I cannot remember the R value, but they definitely helped.

I need to start focusing on the some simple electric conservation things though.

I already use CFL bulbs. I would like to start using electricity timers for certain things like running my block heater. I should need to run it for at most 2 hours in the morning. Can anyone recommend a good brand?
Old 12-30-10, 05:53 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I've never had a bad experience with any of my timers.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 11:18 AM   #5
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

I found a brand called "Woods" at the hardware store last night for use with the block heater. Also found water pipe insulation and hot water tank jacket.

The jacket looked like foil lined bubble wrap, it looks rather ineffective in my opinion. Only time will tell if it makes a difference I guess.
Old 01-01-11, 09:21 AM   #6
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by davranyou View Post
I found a brand called "Woods" at the hardware store last night for use with the block heater. Also found water pipe insulation and hot water tank jacket.

The jacket looked like foil lined bubble wrap, it looks rather ineffective in my opinion. Only time will tell if it makes a difference I guess.
That's very reflective stuff. I used in to stop the leakage on top of my boiler.
It's been very effective keeping the heat inside..

Checkout this thread I started about Low-E products.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...-products.html
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 11:34 PM   #7
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Well the first two days provided me with a more constant water temp in my showers. Gas usage may be too hard to determine as my furnace runs constantly to fight the harsh winters of the Great White North.

Update on the Block Heater Timer. Haven't been able to use it yet, as I discovered the male plugin end to my block heater cord has frayed to the point rendering it useless. I will have to repair before using.