EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-08, 08:12 PM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default VIDEO: Tip to save water in the shower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 10:04 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

You're a video master, ben!

Thanks for the post,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 10:16 PM   #3
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Yes, revel in my masterful use of a mirror to get both a wide shot AND a closeup of the timer simultaneously!!!

Old 11-19-08, 11:31 PM   #4
SVOboy
Administrator

I never would've thought of it!

Plus, it's for a good cause.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 04:01 AM   #5
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Good idea
but at home my wife and I have different schedules so the first shower is taken when the other one is always sleeping...

As I'm always late in the morning, I'm as quick as possible under the shower, but I found other ways to save water under the shower :
  • get the shower head in your hand, this is quicker than to move all your body under a fixed shower head over you, noticeably to rinse yourself.
  • don't open the tap at 100%. I'm at about 2/3 and I don't see efficiency difference when I rinse myself, even with the inline flow reduction system.
  • don't let the water running too long to have your hot water, ie let water run when you gonna get your shower. If you change your mind then stop the water.

Last tip : do you really need a shower everyday ? </joking>

Denis.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 06:15 AM   #6
seanof30306
Lurking Renovator

The simplest solution is a navy shower. It's the way they've showered on Navy ships forever, as fresh water is always a rare commodity on them. The concept is simple. Think about all the water that's wasted while you're soaping and washing your hair and body (or even shaving, as I do). You could avoid all that waste by shutting the water off when you're doing those things. Hell, it actually makes it easier to do your scrubbing.

The challenge in doing it is you have to get the water mix back right again every time you turn the water back on. It's frustrating and wastes time.

There's a much simpler solution ... just install a water shutoff valve behind the showerhead. I got mine at either Lowes or Home Depot for around 15 bucks, and installed it in less than 10 minutes with a pair of channel lock pliers and some teflon tape.

Step By Step: Install a Water-Saving Shower Shutoff Valve

There are a lot of benefits:

1. I cut my water use nearly in half, without having to rush through my showers or cut short my luxuriating under the hot water as I take my time rinsing off.

2. I quit running out of hot water near the end of my showers due to my old, crappy, 30 gallon hot water heater. I'd been planning on upgrading it, but no longer need to.

3. My poorly ventilated bathroom no longer has mold problems, as I wasn't leaving that steaming hot water on for my entire shower any more.

This is clearly a win-win, where I can save money and be greener while still enjoying a long, hot shower. I've been doing it for over 6 years, and would never go back.
seanof30306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 09:35 AM   #7
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I actually HAVE been thinking of installing a Navy shower!

Another problem I have at my house is very high mineral content in the water, which builds up in the showerhead, and makes it hard to clean the shower walls too.

I am not happy with the cheapo plastic showerhead I currently have. Since I was thinking about replacing it anyways, I thought I might do a Navy Showerhead. Those are nice and simple chrome. I would be able to pull the whole thing off and drop it in a glass of vinegar every couple months to clean it off!

I don't actually imagine using the cut-off valve that much, but if it is there, maybe I will end up using it more than I think!

Old 03-23-09, 03:40 PM   #8
seanof30306
Lurking Renovator

What I have is just a valve that installs behind the showerhead, so I can use whatever showerhead I like.
seanof30306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 03:03 AM   #9
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
I'm as quick as possible under the shower, but I found other ways to save water under the shower :
  • get the shower head in your hand, this is quicker than to move all your body under a fixed shower head over you, noticeably to rinse yourself.
  • don't open the tap at 100%. I'm at about 2/3 and I don't see efficiency difference when I rinse myself, even with the inline flow reduction system.
  • don't let the water running too long to have your hot water, ie let water run when you gonna get your shower. If you change your mind then stop the water.
Same here, just get the job done using only the water I really need. The only exeptions are 2-3 times a year, when after a whole day of garden work, when I just need an extra 1-2 minutes under the hot water. Just a leeettle beeet longer, pleeez?
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Last tip : do you really need a shower everyday ? </joking>
I found that out years ago (Now, when was my last shower? ) I know people who take a shower twice a day, or shower in the morning and bath before sleep. One of them once asked me why don't I do the same. I replied that I don't wrestle with sh*t at night.

Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to, save, shower, timer, water