EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-13, 04:02 PM   #1
Trevor
Lurking Renovator

Default Micro-Inverter vs Standard

New to Solar PV so any comments suggestions will be appreciated.

I am putting together plans for a garage. I would like to add a significant amount of PV on the roof (anywhere from 5kw-10kw). I have been reading about PV and looking at online pricing for the last couple of weeks. One of the big questions I am having involves whether to go with Micro or standard inverters. I like the warranty and seemingly easier install that the Enphase inverters. I have read the pros and cons of both. I live in Vermont and it seems the micro may be a little better if one or more of the panels is covered (like with snow). So, my first question is: What sort of expierence have people had with the MicroInverter?

------------------------

The second question is more about the cost of grid tie systems. I can go to
wholesalesolar.com(which I am not affiliated with at all) or other websiite and find a 9kw-10kw system with all the roof mounting hardware for $16k to $20k, but my first conversation with an installer in my area had the price of a 8kw system at $40k. I have heard an install on a roof would only take a few days (3+) so I am confused at how it gets to $40k. To be honest the conversation was on the phone with not a lot of specifics.

Vermont state details - Vemont has a 50 cent per watt grant, but it needs to be installed by a "licensed solar installer". So if I go with having someone install it for me I would be eligible to get the $5k for a 10kw system. But if the installers are charging a 30% markup on the panels, inverters, and other hardware it doesn't make sense.

So here is the second question. What does it take to put in a new system from a labor perspective from a person who knows what they are doing. I am willing to pay someone for his/her knowledge, but for $15k+ they should probably build my garage for me.

Details about the Garage - Still looking at plans but right now I have the garage being either (36 x 36) or (36 x 32). The roof will be 8/12 pitch which will get me as close to my best angle for maximizing solar power. I will also be using an attic truss to give me additional space for storage.

Thanks for any input.

Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote