EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-08, 08:14 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Nothing yet, I've been spending most of the time on the house still. I'm finally getting close to being done with the attic.

As for whats been happening with the mower, not a ton. I'm still searching out parts and thinking up how everything is gonna get done. I'm pretty sure I have a motor and wiring for it. I'm still debating on weather to go with a controller, or not too. I've seen a few on evalbum that don't, but I'm not sure how I'd set it up yet.

Thanks Terry. Yes, I do own the white building on the end of the cul-de-sac. Thats my garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 11-17-08 at 08:18 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 09:56 AM   #12
toyobug
avid DIY'r

guess you'll have a good winter project once you get the insulation finished up
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 07:40 PM   #13
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I have three different motors out of a forklift at my house. I also have plenty of welding cable and a few contactors and fuses.

If we dig up a golf cart controller, the only other thing we would need is the batteries.

I think a two-motor approach might be best. Have one motor run the wheels of the mower (controlled by a golf cart controller) and another that powers the blades (turned on and off with a contactor).

This is similar to how an Electrak works, except that it had a motor for each individual blade.

Alternatively, we could hook up a couple of reel mowers behind my Citicar....

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 11:24 AM   #14
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

that 728 you are going to convert looks identical to mine. Although I think mine is a 738 simplicity. Something must be different, but mine is also an 8hp. It has a three blade deck that cuts about a 36" path. It's interesting how they articulate back near the seat, instead of the front axle. I've had it for around 10 yrs and it's been a workhorse. I actually plow my driveway with it. It has a 42 or 46" snow blade I put on in the winter along with tire chains.

good luck with the conversion.
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 09:28 PM   #15
Daox
Administrator

It finally got tropically warm (35 degrees) this weekend, and with my insulation project behind me I took some time to do some work on the EcoRider. The first step? Rip out the engine! The previous owner is still patiently waiting for me to return it thankfully.

I also got a chance to talk with an elec-trak owner at an EV meet. He said the Elec-traks can do about 2 acres of mowing before they need to be recharged. So, with my less than an acre to mow, I'm not going to worry at all about not having enough battery capacity.

Now pics!

Pulled the top cover off.

Front cover off.

Yay, the happy moment of draining the last bit of gas this mower will ever see.

Engine GONE!
Old 02-02-09, 06:47 AM   #16
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Cool!

That tractor looks like it's in way better shape than mine.
Old 02-17-09, 02:24 PM   #17
gascort
Helper EcoRenovator

Neat project - I look forward to seeing how it goes!
Ben - the CitiMower is a great idea!!!
gascort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 08:53 AM   #18
Daox
Administrator

Got a great update here. This past weekend I was at a build day for EVs that goes on in Milwaukee. The host runs a recycling business and got me 24 7Ah 12V deep cycle batteries for the mower. This will allow me to run almost any combination of voltage I want. Then, last night I met him at his warehouse. We dug through some stuff and we found a 1.6hp 24V motor that I think will be pretty ideal for my setup. I was hoping for a 2hp, but this will probably be fine. In addition to the motor I also got a few contactors, some nice heavy gauge wire, and even a forklift motor controller if I end up needing it. This is nearly everything that I'll need to complete the mower!!! I'll post pictures of it all tonight.

Last edited by Daox; 02-19-09 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: typos galore
Old 02-19-09, 09:25 AM   #19
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

That is awesome . Nice to have a contact like him.
Old 02-19-09, 09:59 AM   #20
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, he is a great guy to have around. However, it also makes me realize, you could probably do the same with your local recycling place. Give them a call once a week and see if they have any electric parts if you are looking. Chances are that you can probably pick up parts for next to nothing. All they're going to do is rip stuff apart and sell it as scrap metal.

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor