EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-10, 04:35 PM   #11
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Dang that looks good! The cover plates look kinda like the 1/2" plastic board,
that I've seen used on older electronic equipment boxes.

I suppose you will round off any sharp edges, in case the driver is wearing shorts.

Keep up the postings please..

Cheers,
Rich

Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 06:27 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Looking great!

I have a question about how you size your pulleys. What rpm do you target for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 07:55 PM   #13
aproldan
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Looking great!

I have a question about how you size your pulleys. What rpm do you target for?
i use the original pulley from the gas motor and either go up 1 or 2 " depending on what it will be use for.. in this case i am starting with a 4".. i went up to 4" to slow down the top speed and pick up more torque in first gear... if it is still too fast in first i will go down to either a 3" or 2.5" look for massive torque so it can haul between 250 to 350 plus the weigh of the drive which TINY( the guy who will ride the tractor) isn't that tiny.. he himself tops out at 300+.. this tractor is a little more trickier then the ones i have converted because the rear tire is twice the size of your normal ride on.. anyway i target the RPM to what the motor is rated or as close as i can get it.. with out pulling too many amp while it is running..
Xringer that cover was from an old computer cover.. and it is a thick peice of steel.. took a while to cut it with my disk grinder, normally i zip threw steel.. yes i did smoothed out everything before i sprayed it and bolted it downhere's some more pics: and of my 2 little helpers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1820.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	631   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1825.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	632   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1826.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	633   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1835.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	634   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1841.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	635  

aproldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 03:16 PM   #14
aproldan
Helper EcoRenovator

a little update: monday i decided to work on the motor.. i looked around the garage for something to bolt the motor to.. reason is because i am going to make a slide the motor can sit on so i can have it slide back to create tension on the belt when it need to be adjusted down the line.. but that is not a final plan yet..anyway i found an old currie scooter plate where the motor mounts to and it also acts as a chain guard.. it looks like what i needed and for what i have planned in my head... next i marked out where the bolt holes need to be and drilled them out.. after that i cut out a rubber mat i had found a few months back from dumpster dive.. i am using it between the motor and the plate to absorb any vibration that may come from the motor... when all was drilled and cut i put it together to see how it looked and worked.. seems pretty good so far... i have not bolted it to the tractor yet because i am still waiting for the belt to arrive. hope it will be here by Sat. or Mon.. than i can go and make the slide rail for my homemade belt adjuster... here are of course some pics of the motor plate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1845.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	642   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1846.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	643   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1847.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	644   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1848.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	645  

Last edited by aproldan; 03-13-10 at 04:36 AM..
Old 03-12-10, 03:44 PM   #15
aproldan
Helper EcoRenovator

now on Wednesday i went with Pam (the owner of MR.GREEN) to walmart and she decide to go with the everstart battery.. i wanted the maxx but they did not have the ones i was looking for only starter batteries.. so we settled for the group 24 deep cycle marine, starter trolling and rv 105 amp hours battery.. like i say before not what i wanted but in a way it actually worked out a little better, for they all fit up front where the I.C.E once was. which saves me time on building a battery rack for one of the batteries in the back of the tractor..
after we got it back to my place i had to figure out how i wanted the batteries to be.. what i want and what i got was another thing.. i wanted to line them up straight but found out the wires would be directly on top of the fill hole covers.. so i found a setup that seems to be a lot safer and won't block the fill holes if they need water.. i will build a box around the batteries to keep anything from hurting the case or damaging them.. and bolt the case to the tractor.. the case will be lined with padding.. the reason is batteries do not take too kind to hard bumps or thumps,, that is a good way to short out a cell and ruin your batteries quickly.. i haven't build the battery case yet, it's been raining for the last 2 days here and i need to do my cutting outside so when i clears up and gets dry here i will make the case.. the top of the case will have a 4 inch gap and than i will place plexiglass over it so it can be shown to folks but not touched by them.. the 4 inch gap is for fuses to freely flow away and not be trapped and explode.. but you will see what i'm doing when i get to that point.. hope to have her finish by next week.. talk soon..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1851.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	646   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1849.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	647   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1855.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	648   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1856.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	649  
Old 03-12-10, 04:37 PM   #16
glsooter
Lurking Renovator

Good looking conversions. Have you done or thought about doing one that would still cut the grass? I am interested in conversions (motorcycle, car, lawnmower, and tractors) also but because of money constraints I haven't been able to do more than just research.
glsooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 04:56 PM   #17
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Nice work.. Started to look like it's going to be a sweet E-Tractor!
That rain is coming up here to the northeast to wash out our weekend..

What kind of battery charger is Pam going to get?
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 06:30 AM   #18
aproldan
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsooter View Post
. Have you done or thought about doing one that would still cut the grass? I am interested in conversions (motorcycle, car, lawnmower, and tractors) also but because of money constraints I haven't been able to do more than just research.
GLSOOTER: i have done a a full ride on with the cutting deck on it.. didn't work out that great for the fact at the time i did not have the right motor for the job. so i just used it for hauling instead. but i have made a mini version of a ride on mower with a 20 inch deck and was using it all the time and it works great.. i think we are all in the same situation with money.. just do what i do. go dumpster diving, that is how i get alot of my material for my project. minus the motor and batteries... here is a clip of my mini ride on i made in OCT.
and here is a link of all the projects i have converted or upgraded the pass 5 years
Old 03-15-10, 12:24 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Its really looking good. And, you work a lot faster than me which is awesome lol. What kind of batteries would you have rather seen in the mower (not sure what maxx is)?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 08:57 PM   #20
aproldan
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
What kind of batteries would you have rather seen in the mower (not sure what maxx is)?
it's a EVERSTART MAXX marine/rv battery..
today i worked on the tractor.. i got most of what i needed to do but i was at a snails pace.. just didn't want to rush anything today.. so i made a battery box and painted it.. bolted it down to the tractor and placed the batteries in it.. now they won't be moving around and are secure.. next i decide to make use of the empty space under the dash board and cut a piece of wood, painted it and screwed it down.. this is for the controller charger and master breaker.. next was to make up the wires. cut to size crimp the connectors on and the heat shrink tubes for a clean and tight seal. i used 6 gauge wire which i kept around just in case... paid off today.. i did not connect the controller but i think tomorrow will be the day MR.GREEN will rise again.. the last thing i did tonight was try to figure out what to do with the hood.. i end up cutting of a good size section off the bottom.. because it was all busted up and i just can't see leaving that part on and looking nasty.. and beside since the battery box is in now it did not fit but i knew that would happen.. now it sits on there right but now i need to figure out how to bolt it on.. i kind of like the way it looks now with the hood on it and you can see a portion of the box from the front...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1941.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	652   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1943.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	653   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1945.jpg
Views:	414