EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-11, 07:51 PM   #1
orange
frugal builder

Default Gas fired condensing hot water tank for hot water and radiant heat

After researching most of the possible simple, affordable and efficient avenues to heat our little old house I have decided to go with a gas fired condensing hot water tank. They seem to run about $2000, are up to 96% efficient, and are dual duty heating and hot water. They can also be used with solar hot water systems and I'm assuming heat pumps as well. Another advantage is that we will not have to upgrade our gas lines and they are much simpler to install than a tankless unit.

I did consider a heat pump but did not want to go with a forced air system and there are difficulties with finding an air to water heat pump that can do radiant water heat. Also then we would still need a hot water heater. And there's the problem of when it's too cold for the heat pump.

The gas hot water tank allows us to get going cheaply and augment later when we have scads of cash to get a heat pump that can do the job of air to hot water heating.

The major hardware chains do not carry these high efficiency tanks yet although I saw a heat pump hot water heater. Kind of silly if you put one of these inside because you would just be stealing heat from your house to heat the water.

Anyone here had experience with these condensing gas units or where to get them in Canada for a reasonable price?

orange is offline   Reply With Quote