EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-08, 08:41 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default EcoRider - riding lawn mower electric conversion

Well, the time has come for my first EV project! I really wanted to convert the Toyota Paseo I picked up a while ago, but it would have cost too much for me at the moment. So, my next thought was that I really could use a riding mower. I have push mowed my lawn, and it takes a long time. So, I talked things over with Ben Nelson and MetroMPG, the two EV guys I know and decided to go with an electric riding mower.

This weekend I picked up a Simplicity 728 (no idea what year) from a very kind gentleman. I found and got the mower for free using FreeCycle.org. It currently has a mildly used 8hp Briggs engine in it. The deal with the donator was that I take the engine out and return it to him since it hasn't seen much use. I was all too happy to oblige! So, now I have a new project for this winter. Hopefully updates will come fast.

For future reference:

Belt size:
Drive: L485
Mower deck: L478
Mower blades: L470
Snow blower: L482

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 05-08-15 at 10:26 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 10:54 AM   #2
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

This sounds like fun. I'm interested to see how everything goes for you to see what I can apply to my electric push mower conversion that I hope to have finished before spring. Be sure to take a lot of pictures!
cmittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 12:22 PM   #3
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

that's awesome. have fun with that

sell me the Paseo while you're at it
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 08:51 AM   #4
toyobug
avid DIY'r

Daox- this is GREAT news for me. When I first stumbled upon Ecomodder, I wanted to build an Electric Motorcycle once my tour in Iraq is over. I figured it would be a good way to understand all the work and components required to build an EV. After further thought I decided that an electric rider would be better, (less chance of injury )
Now that you've got a project like this, I will be following along closely. Please take pics, and If I can help with researching info please let me know. Not that I could compare to Ben or MetrMPG, those guys are awesome!
I can't wait to see the progress!
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 09:43 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Well, I took the mower out for a spin last night. I really needed to cut the grass and chew up the leaves. So, the mower got its last run on gasoline. It worked quite well for what I seemed to think of as a small mower (only 8 hp).

I'm now starting to track down the necessary other items for the conversion. Ben Nelson said he would donate a few things so I'm really psyched about that! There will be many pictures to come.

&
Old 11-06-08, 11:58 AM   #6
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

cool idea! what kind of range do you think you'll get?
Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 01:15 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

I'm going to start with humble targets. I'd like to be able to mow half of my yard on one charge. Below is a pic of the two 'halfs'. I actually think, depending on the quality of the batteries, that I should be able to do the entire yard. However, I'll be fine if I can't do the entire thing all at once.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mower_areas.jpg
Views:	2492
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	43  

&

Last edited by Daox; 02-27-09 at 02:25 PM..
Old 11-15-08, 10:13 PM   #8
Tango Charlie
Minister of Silly Walks

Wow, Tim, that's a really nice spread you got there. Is the white structure by the cul-de-sac yours, too?
I am also very excited to see your rider conversion as it progresses. I have been thinking about doing the same, but have not committed to it...yet.
And yes, post lots and lots of pictures!
Old 11-16-08, 10:57 AM   #9
toyobug
avid DIY'r

any progress on the mower Daox?
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 01:20 PM   #10
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

Default ElecTrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'm going to start with humble targets. I'd like to be able to mow half of my yard on one charge. Below is a pic of the two 'halfs'. I actually think, depending on the quality of the batteries, that I should be able to do the entire yard. However, I'll be fine if I can't do the entire thing all at once.

Just brought back great memories of the ElecTrak we owned in the 70s when I was a kid. That mowed our whole yard (probably 1/2 acre) with plenty of juice left. We also had a snowblower attachment for it that used to make me a bunch of $$$ around the neighborhood. Have you ever heard of these ... and wher the heck did they go - they were WAY ahead of their time Can't wait to see your end product
vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor