EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-15-15, 05:06 AM   #11
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I just put in my first Gree HP. It seems like a nice unit but not as robust as the Fujitsu that I usually put in.

I would not put the unit where you may wish to stand doing dishes, etc. The cold air can be uncomfortable.

I would also do two separate units as the efficiency of a double head unit will not be as good as two single units.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 07:30 AM   #12
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I would put both my indoor units on a outside wall rather then above the hutch.
My reason being that it would be easier to mount it with the line ,and run the drain.
I'm very limited on placement of the units. I only have the kitchen back wall (north wall). To the west is the garage wall and stairs. To the south is the front of the house. To the east is where we are planning a one bedroom addition.

Pic of house build attached.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030small.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	4939  

Last edited by Daox; 01-15-15 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: added pic
dablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-15, 12:49 PM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

On the ground floor, I would try to have one unit near your main entryway. Second unit would be in the master bath near the bedrooms. Or it could be in a connected hallway between bedrooms. Having a unit in the bedroom is nice, but some people are sensitive to the noise they make.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 08:26 AM   #14
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
On the ground floor, I would try to have one unit near your main entryway. Second unit would be in the master bath near the bedrooms. Or it could be in a connected hallway between bedrooms. Having a unit in the bedroom is nice, but some people are sensitive to the noise they make.
The only rooms downstairs are the kitchen, living, and dining rooms. That makes up about 1000 sqft. That is the only area where we are thinking of using minisplits. The upstairs with the four bedrooms will be traditional HVAC. It is just too hot down here for us to go ductless with so many walls and rooms upstairs. The air just wouldn't circulate. Upstairs we are going with traditional HVAC in the attic. The roof has the insulation so all my ducts will be in the conditioned space.

So, it looks like I'm going to have a tough time finding spots for two minisplits downstairs since both of them have to be on the north (kitchen) wall.
Old 01-19-15, 09:40 AM   #15
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

After more thought ..

I now think it will be better to use one 18000 Btu and one indoor unit , as your floor plan is open you do not need two indoor units as much as other designs would.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 09:53 AM   #16
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

If I wasn't so limited on placement, I think two units on oposite walls would be best but that will never happen. One 1.5 ton unit on the kitchen wall will have to work. I will have a fan above the sofas and dining room table. Should work fine.

With the traditional unit upstairs, some the its cold air will also fall down the stairs to the first floor giving it a little "free" help.

Austin
Old 01-19-15, 10:50 AM   #17
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I think you will be set with just the one unit and no other fans as the room is open , if you needed to go around corners then extra fans would help.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 10:44 AM   #18
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I live in a dryer climate , although the mini split we have in the living room / dining room does pump out a fair amount of condensate when cooling .

I have read many warnings about over sizing cooling equipment . One of the issues , they say , is poor performance at dehumidification .

From what I read , the higher SEER equipment usually / always employ inverter / variable speed compressors . As the load cooling decreases , the compressor slows down accordingly .

Does this mitigate , to some extent , the problems with over size equipment ?

How would a 24,000 btu unit perform , over the season ?

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote