EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-19, 12:29 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default K&N now makes reusable furnace filters

I got an email the other day from K&N saying that they now are selling reusable (cleanable) furnace filters. So, I checked it out and they seem to have a decent selection. I checked out what the cost is for my furnace filter (14x20x1), and it seems pretty reasonable at ~$40.

https://www.knfilters.com/home-air-filters

They do have a spray to use on the filter after cleaning. I don't think its an oil like their automotive filters though. It says its just for cleaning and neutralizing odors.

Quote:
K&N part 99-6010 is a 32 ounce pump spray bottle of HVAC Filter Cleaner. K&N HVAC Filter Cleaner is the only cleaner recommended to clean K&N HVAC Filters. K&N 99-6010 eliminates and cleanses particles from the surface of the K&N HVAC Filter so it can be washed clean with water. After letting your K&N HVAC Filter dry it is recommended to apply a small amount of the cleaner to help neutralizes odor causing sources instead of masking these odors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 12:46 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing.
I will have to check it out. I have used them for High horse power cars and they worked well.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 02:09 PM   #3
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Great idea! Think I will get some
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 07:40 PM   #4
ham789
Helper EcoRenovator

Filters like Filtrete have spec numbers that relate
to the size of particles and air resistance.
I couldn't find any way to relate the K&N filters to that
scale.
ham789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ham789 For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-25-19)
Old 03-23-19, 12:43 PM   #5
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I've had mixed feelings about K&N filters for years. Their off road motorcycle filters improved breathing but were terrible at keeping fine silt out of the engine. Some riders started putting the OEM (oiled) outer foam filter over them to compensate for what was really just a bad filter for the application.

Some reusable filter manufacturers do it better than others but most do it badly. I threw away the last set of washable AC filters because they caused so much pressure drop the evap coil iced over from inadequate air flow.

I installed a substantially oversized filter housing in my parents system to compensate for the pressure drop of a premium Filtrete. It still caused enough pressure drop to collapse the return duct. I gave up using premium filters when the air handler in my house inhaled a clean filter.

The bottom line with filters is this: Improving filtration for a given area results in greater pressure drop. If you want better filtering you really need to increase filter area. My existing 2 ton unit has one 16X20 filter. The new unit will have four 16X20 filters.

K&N filters work great for cars if you keep them clean and oiled. They work great for chainsaws because fine sawdust isn't abrasive and blows through the engine without much affect. K&N might work well as a washable AC filter. Given my experience with them, I share ham789's skepticism if K&N doesn't publish particulate and pressure drop data.

Last edited by CrankyDoug; 03-23-19 at 03:08 PM..
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 05:01 PM   #6
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Basically what I was going to say about reusable filters. In the automotive world they improve airflow at the detriment of poor filtering but in most all dyno tests the K&N didn't to an appreciable improvement in power ( you will never notice it).

Stick with traditional filters. If you want high filtering capability install a very large pocket filter assembly. Very good filtration, filters last a long time and they arent really expensive when you compare price to lifespan.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 10:34 PM   #7
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

The K&N house filters look like they would certainly provide better filtering than some of the cheaper, disposable filters. Some of those have visible gaps.

Agree that K&N auto filters usually provide more airflow at the expense of worse filtering.
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 07:26 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

How important is it to filter household air? We have at least one air exchange with outside air per hour anyways? Honestly asking. I thought it was more about protecting the blower motor? I guess I understand if you have allergy issues, but then you're running the fan 24/7, right?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 08:53 AM   #9
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
How important is it to filter household air? We have at least one air exchange with outside air per hour anyways? Honestly asking. I thought it was more about protecting the blower motor? I guess I understand if you have allergy issues, but then you're running the fan 24/7, right?
Extremely important. It keeps the evap coil from being plugged up with dirt, hair etc. Also if that air wasn't filtered you would be blowing dirt and crap all over the house.

As for the outside air coming in you need to filter even more because of it as the outside air is full of dirt, pollen etc.

Basically it's for the equipments health your health as you shouldn't be breathing that stuff in and for keeping your house clean.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 10:50 AM   #10
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
How important is it to filter household air?
I suppose it depends a lot on your region and the dust generated in your own house. Here in GA the pollen is presently falling like volcano ash. We also seem to generate a lot of lint (year round) even though the dryer is properly vented and runs less than an hour a week.

Some years ago I bought a Honeywell standalone HEPA filtration device. I expected it to require cleaning at least once a week. It ran about a year before burning out and never once needed cleaning. The fans in my computers, however, have to be cleaned at least once a month.

As elcam84 stated above, a house like mine will plug up the evap coils in short order without a filter. Whatever gets past the air filter plugs up the condensate drain.

I am slowly re-routing my intake and outlet ducts in preparation for the new heat pump. Once installed I intend to run the fan continuously several hours a day, hoping to reduce the pollen, lint, and dust. In my case, at least, filtration is absolutely necessary.

Considering the price of Filtrete disposables, I have no problem paying $40 apiece for K&N filters. They might actually work quite well for HVAC filtration. I just wish they were sold based on test data instead of endorsements from racing celebrities that don't even use them.

CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote