EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Biofuels
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-12, 08:59 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default UK company plans 3 wood power/heat plants

I thought this was quite interesting. I didn't think wood was really considered as a fuel for modern power plants. I would think you'd need absolutely ridiculous amounts of wood to run a power plant off of it... Perhaps I'm wrong.

Estover Plans Three U.K. Wood-to-Power Plants for $354 Million - Bloomberg

Quote:
The U.K. renewable-power developer applied for planning permission for the 52 megawatts of facilities...

The U.K. expects 15 percent of its energy to come from renewable sources by 2020 compared with 9.4 percent now. The government estimates as much 30 percent of that may come from biomass plants that use municipal waste, wood and straw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-12, 10:17 PM   #2
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

It really sounds like a bad idea, air pollution is my concern with it.
To bad some companies aren't pushing wave power or tide power instead of the stupidly conceived garbage smoke stack power, idiots imo haha
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-12, 06:53 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

I agree, tidal or wave power seems like there is an enormous amount of energy out there if we can just harness it properly and inexpensively.

&
Old 10-09-12, 10:01 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I guess I wouldn't be too concerned with air pollution. Powerplants are held to higher standards than residential fire places, and they're also looking to squeeze out all the energy out of that wood. So, their setup is likely going to be complex and efficient which also tends to be better for pollution. Plus, it has to be better than burning coal.

&
Old 10-15-12, 08:32 PM   #5
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The power plant where I live is mostly fueled by biomass. Xcel Energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And
From The Editors | October 2012

I have never been able to smell it, even when directly downwind. It's less than two miles from my house.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 06:57 PM   #6
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

The cancer rate would be higher in the homes where the 'fall out occurs'

I would not want to be anywhere downwind from a pig fuel fired power plant. I suspect the wealthier people do not build near it, as it is in all pulp mill city's. The people with buying power do not to buy in a pulp mill city, just poor folk who are attracted by the cheap real estate prices do.

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-16-12 at 07:01 PM..
Old 10-18-12, 06:18 PM   #7
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I live in a pulp mill city, with a 300 ft smoke stack that is being fed by Hog fuel, including car tires by the hundreds. On days they add to many tires we can smell them, smells like somebody did a burn out. I live 2 miles up wind from that massive sick smoke stack. Bought here because houses were half price compared to any other city on Vancouver Island. 'Port Alberni' is its name,I have been here 7 years in 2 houses my first house here cost $55,000 was 1 mile from the smoke stack.

We have a main road 20 feet away from the pulp mill, you have to hold your breath more then half the time when driving past, its a noxious gas smell.
Kiss any idea of safety in smoke stacks good bye, they are poisonous , look into it, do not trust regulations they failed our city for 50 years running.

I kid you not when i tell you we have some very deformed people walking the streets, its like its out of a bad movie.
Also more then half the men are bald ?? wtf is with that?? haha.

I am selling my house soon and heading for greener pasture, a few more reno's to do.

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-18-12 at 07:21 PM..
Old 10-18-12, 08:57 PM   #8
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Harper just took rivers and streams away from environmental protection in his last budget.
Buut we have in BC huge amounts of beetle killed wood. There is a pilot plant in Ottawa (I think) that is producing 30,000 L of cellulostic ethanol from wood chips, so there is promise there. In the interior of BC we have a number of wood chip fueled generating stations, and quite a few operations pelletising the dead trees.

nibs is offline   Reply With Quote