EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-10, 06:47 AM   #11
Solar Mike
Helper EcoRenovator

Right, lets see if I can post an image or two.

Here is a link to the first trial panel
Added a simple reflector later to see what if any improvement, made approx 15% more hot water, esp in winter.

Shows The six main roof mounted panels, small pv panels power the controllers, pumps etc. Wooden frames are screwed and glued, clamped to roof by galv steel straps that loop under tiles and screwed to rafters.

Added a couple of attachments to the heat dump and a prototype grey water heat recovery device.

Hopefully they will now post

Cheers
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HeatDump_Small.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	701   Click image for larger version

Name:	GreyWaterHeatRecovery.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	702  
Solar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 09:01 AM   #12
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

That heat-dump looks a little bit too professional for a DIYer..
Better stick some duct tape on it..

Nice looking HW panels! Having the PV to run things is a nice touch.

It looks like you might be living up in the hills there.
Maybe a bit too windy for a DIY wind turbine..?.

Cheers,
Rich
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 03:52 AM   #13
Solar Mike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
That heat-dump looks a little bit too professional for a DIYer..
Better stick some duct tape on it..

Nice looking HW panels! Having the PV to run things is a nice touch.

It looks like you might be living up in the hills there.
Maybe a bit too windy for a DIY wind turbine..?.

Cheers,
Rich
Yeah we are are in the hills a bit, about 30 minutes from central Wellington
Too many neighbors for a wind turbine, to bad, we are in a small valley and its blowing from one end or the other, had to bolt the panels real good to the roof. Couple more photo's attached.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof_Main_A.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof_Main_B.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	707  
Old 04-28-10, 08:22 AM   #14
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Those look great! I was wondering about those lattice-like strips across the back side of the mounts.?.
Are they wind spoilers to keep the wind from lifting the panels?
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 06:07 PM   #15
Solar Mike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Those look great! I was wondering about those lattice-like strips across the back side of the mounts.?.
Are they wind spoilers to keep the wind from lifting the panels?
Yes they are, it gets very windy here at times, 120 kph is not uncommon, also helps blend the panels into the roof when viewed from neighbors further up the hill.
Old 04-29-10, 07:28 AM   #16
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

This home brew SHW system is great! This looks like how I want to heat my garage and the water for the rest rooms I hope someday to install in it.

If you'd care to add more details of how you built the collectors, designed the .... everything I'd love to read about it. Did you use a reference manual of some sort that is still available (he says with great hope).
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 05:03 AM   #17
Solar Mike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
This home brew SHW system is great! This looks like how I want to heat my garage and the water for the rest rooms I hope someday to install in it.

If you'd care to add more details of how you built the collectors, designed the .... everything I'd love to read about it. Did you use a reference manual of some sort that is still available (he says with great hope).
Sorry no reference manual, just a lot of workshop experience.

Panel details: copper tube 25mm top and bottom headers, 15mm risers spaced every 150mm, this lot is brazed together, 0.4mm thick soft copper foil fins with a pressed groove, soldered to the risers. Sprayed matte black on top surface only with 2 coats of an etch primer. Insulation in the cases is 25mm polyiso foam covered in 25mm foil faced fiberglass insulation, tube holes in cases have rubber grommets so the internal copper-work makes no contact with the alloy case. Cases are 1.2mm thick aluminum with folded sides, welded at joins. Backing is thinner alloy sheet sealed with mastic around edge and pop riveted with stainless rivets to main case body. Glazing is 1mm UV treated polycarbonate sheet, sits on folded lip of case edges with rubber gasket. Top edging is thin alloy angle sections welded together so they just sit over the glazing and screwed into case with stainless self-tappers. Two 10mm breather holes in each panel and a small 8mm hole at the lowest point as a condensation drain

The units are mounted in two rows bolted on wooden support frames, each fed from one end only, this avoids uneven flow distribution rates caused by the the 'Bernouli Effect' along each string of panels (especially in pumped systems), an effect most professional systems installers fail to realize. Each string has its own air bleed and over temperature valve at the highest point. Both strings have a common balance tube at one end to even flows and allow a common connection at the lowest point of both for a thermo-static frost protection valve (note secondary frost protection)

Control system is a 12 volt powered DIY PIC CPU using 1 wire DS18b20 temp sensors to monitor temperatures, because our location gets only 10 or so frosts each year, the primary freeze protection is a solenoid valve opened in bursts of 30 seconds by the controller, dumping near freezing water down the drain, when temp in panels drops < 2c.
Circulation pump is an Ivan Labs ELSID 20 magnetic drive 12 volt DC. Over temperature is handled by the dump heat sink getting switched into circuit when solar heated water > 80c, if this fails then the cpu opens the same valve used for freeze protection for a short period, and if that fails then the thermal valves on each string can open. You do not ever want water boiling in panels, puts too much stress on everything.

It will be obvious that potable water flows through the panels, our water is very good, which is just as well as I like brewing my own beer.

Cheers
Mike