EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-13, 12:01 PM   #21
Daox
Administrator

Any chance I could get any of you guys to check your router's power usage? Mine is pretty old and I'm wondering if the new ones with multiple antennas use more power (I assume they do).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 12:41 PM   #22
Daox
Administrator

Wooo, I found a nice site that lists power consumption of a bunch of routers! Looks like the one I have running at 5W isn't all that bad power wise compared to most. Most seem to be in the 5W-10W range.

WIFI Routers Power Consumption

&
Old 09-03-13, 01:46 PM   #23
Daox
Administrator

I went ahead and rolled the dice on the Edimax BR-6228nC router. Its has the lowest power consumption (1.5W!) of all the routers on the power consumption database site and has the features I want (wireless N basically). It is also dirt cheap at $20 shipped from newegg. I'll update you all on how it works out.

Product webpage: http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det..._id=1&pl2_id=2

&

Last edited by Daox; 09-04-13 at 10:42 AM..
Old 09-03-13, 08:24 PM   #24
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Best advice I know of is to get all equipment that runs from 12V and then connect them all to a 12V battery with a 13.8V float charge (and/or alternative energy) to run them. It's far more efficient to have a single converter than many and also much more reliable.
Old 09-04-13, 10:29 AM   #25
Daox
Administrator

I agree that would be nice. I'm pretty sure my current router runs on 5V and this new one I'm know runs on 5V.

Do you know of any good/simple way of kicking down 12V to 5V. I know there are the linear voltage regulators like a 7805, but they just waste the excess energy as heat, right?

&

Last edited by Daox; 09-04-13 at 10:42 AM..
Old 09-07-13, 11:05 AM   #26
Exalta-STA
Apprentice EcoRenovator

IThe phone company provided me with a modem and Wireless-N wifi router combined in one unit. Total consumption is just 9 watts

Modem: Zyxel P660R-D1

Exalta-STA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 01:41 PM   #27
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I agree that would be nice. I'm pretty sure my current router runs on 5V and this new one I'm know runs on 5V.

Do you know of any good/simple way of kicking down 12V to 5V. I know there are the linear voltage regulators like a 7805, but they just waste the excess energy as heat, right?
I really like the TI voltage regulators. They're switchers that are almost as easy to use as linears.

You can also look at those automotive USB power supplies. Derate them significantly and they should last a good time.
Daox (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 09:15 PM   #28
ATLleaf
Lurking Renovator

i want a wifi repeater
ATLleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 11:43 PM   #29
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLleaf View Post
i want a wifi repeater
The TL-WR703N appears to be cheap, popular, and well supported. It accepts 5V, so you'll need a DC/DC to run it from a 12V system. A cheap car USB charger will work fine and the power usage is very modest (less than a watt) so just get a charger rated for at least 500mA (derating it since you'll be using it for continuous duty) and you should be good to go. As a bonus, it can also work as a NAS, though plan on using a larger converter (one designed for charging tablets should work nicely) if you're going to use a hard drive.
Old 09-20-13, 12:02 PM   #30
Daox
Administrator

I have my new router, but I have yet to set it up. Hopefully sometime this weekend...

&