EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-11, 08:16 AM   #1
bikin' Ed
Custom Money Pit Owner

Default light box for SAD therapy

I've been to a lot of other sites,and gotten a lot of different info. I know the guys here only talk about what works. So my question.. Anyone built a light box for SAD therapy? What type of bulbs did you use? Thanks...Ed

bikin' Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 06:57 PM   #2
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

I built a wooden frame holding three dual 48" fluorescent fixtures and four 100W incandescent bulbs and suspended it over the chair where my wife spends a hour or two during the evening. It took care of her SAD problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 07:45 PM   #3
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Gloomy weather can push borderline-depressed people across the border into SAD, but the correct remedy isn't necessarily daylight lamps.

The best cure for depression that I've employed is regular aerobic exercise. It's hard to be SAD when you're high on endorphins. Second-best: having a satisfying job and a reliable network of friends. Try those things first if you're feeling scientific, or in parallel if you're feeling ambitious.

I know building a satisfying career and social life doesn't happen overnight, and for many doesn't happen at all, but I'm totally serious about the exercise recommendation.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 07:54 PM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

My wife is bothered by the endless cloud and rain that our winters can bring so I bought a 50 or 75 watt full spectrum long tube florecent bulb normally used to grow plants or aquariums and set it up as a task light by her sewing machine. When she sews she uses it to light the entire desk and it's really helped out.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote