EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-12, 11:29 PM   #1
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default I'm looking for advice on a new home.

I'm within a week of closing on a really neat/odd home and I wanted some input on weatherizing it. The climate is Mediterranean, so that's a plus.

It's a two story house, and the bottom level is masonry that's earth-bermed on two sides (the north and the west). It also has some pretty big windows facing east. The top level is stick that's exposed on all sides, but it also has R20 fiberglass insulation and concrete tiles.

The upper level seems like it's pretty well insulated, but the lower level has crap for insulation because th R-value for masonry seems to be really low. Otoh, being built into a mountain it also has a ton of thermal mass, on top of whatever is gained via the concrete walls.

I've been searching for info, and from what I've seen it looks like it's best to insulate the exposed masonry, but the I've also read that there's less need to insulate anything earth-bermed since it will tend to stay pretty consistent in terms of temperature. Does anyone have any experience/input with this kind of house? It seems really unique so I'm not sure where to even start.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home_front.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	2214   Click image for larger version

Name:	home_side.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2215  
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote