EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Forum News & Feedback
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-11, 10:19 AM   #11
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Has the creation of the WIKI made it any further?

Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 12:18 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Woo, I totally forgot about this post. I can look into the wiki. I haven't even done that yet though.

In the mean time I don't want to let this go. I think we should get a list up soon. We can always add to it. However, I'd like to keep this list to a list of things people can do right now. That means air sealing stuff, and even buying things like a kill a watt, but not remodeling ideas or buying a new fridge.

Anyways, I typed up a list of things from this thread plus a few more ideas I thought of. There are only 36 tips and I broke them down into the sections they help in. Of course there is some overlap between areas. I'd really like to get at least 50 tips though before putting the list up.

Air Sealing
-seal all penetrations in the ceiling to attic that might leak air (light fixtures, plumbing, ducting...) with caulk or expanding foam
-check weather stripping around doors and windows
-check caulking on outside of the house, windows, doors, and other trim. recheck every ~2 years.
-use magnetic weather stripping for exterior steel doors
-use window film to stop air leakage around windows
-use seal'n peel to stop air leakage around windows
-do a DIY home leakage test or have a professional energy audit done to identify problem areas
-seal the rim joist in the basement
-seal any outside penetrations in the wall (electrical, plumbing, ducting)
-seal the attic access door
-install switch and power outlet gaskets

Heating
-Turn your furnace thermostat temperature down as much as is comfortable
-Wear appropriate clothing for the season (bundle up in winter, dress light in summer)
-seal ducting with aluminum tape or mastic, do not use duct tape
-insulate ducting that is not in conditioned space (attic/basement)
-use a programmable thermostat
-open blinds/shades during the day to let solar heat in, close them at night to stay warmer
-have a professional come out and inspect/clean/tune up your natural gas / LPG furnace every ~2 years
-make/buy interior storm windows to increase a window's R value
-make/buy window quilts or insulating blinds to increase a window's R value
-make/buy insulating window curtains to increase a window's R value
-use an electric blanket to allow you to turn down the temperature more at night and still stay comfortable
-use a humidifier to ensure proper levels of humidity in the house. This will allow you to turn down the temperature and still be comfortable.
-remove window screens in winter to let more sun light through the window
-use ceiling fans on low to mix the air in the room up to prevent hot air from staying up near the ceiling
-close off rooms and their vents if they aren't being used regularly
-change your furnace filter regularly

Cooling
-Use blinds (good) or awnings (better) to block direct sunlight
-if possible, open the house up at night and use box fans in windows or a whole house fan to vent cool the house down instead of relying on the A/C
-install radiant barrier insulation in your attic
-place window A/C units on the north side of the house or other place where the sun does not shine on them
-turn the A/C thermostat temperature up as high as is comfortable, sometimes using the A/C just to dehumidify the house may be enough to be comfortable
-use fans to allow you to increase the A/C temperature and still stay comfortable

Water Conservation & Domestic Hot Water
-Turn your water heater temperture down as much as possible
-add additional insulation your hot water tank
-put a timer on your hot water tank
-turn off the water heater when you are away for extended periods of time
-use low flow showerheads and faucet aerators to reduce water usage
-install a dual flush conversion kit on your toilet
-put a brick or something else in your toilet's water tank to displace the amount of water used per flush
-plug the tub and let it fill with water as you take your shower. Leave the water in the tub until it has cooled down (heating your house) instead of letting that heat go down the drain.
-insulate hot water lines
-install heat traps on tank style water heaters
-turn the water off when not needed when showering, just use it for rinsing.

Electricity
-use CFL or LED lighting
-unplug electronics when not in use, a powerstrip makes this easier
-use a smart power strip to kill phantom loads, especially useful for tv and computer setups
-find phantom loads with a kill a watt
-turn your fridge temperature up to ~40F and freezer temperature up to ~0F

Clothes Washing
-wash clothes with cold water whenever possible
-use a clothes line to dry your clothes when possible
-only do full loads of laundry
-make sure the exhaust ducting for the dryer is clean. This can slow drying as well as become a fire hazard.

Cooking
-use a microwave when possible, it is more efficient at heating than most other forms of heating food
-studies show that using a dishwasher is more efficient than the average joe washing dishes. Users on EcoRenovator think that hand washing can be more efficient if done carefully.
-only do full loads of dishes in the dishwasher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 09-21-11 at 09:40 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 03:19 PM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Alright, with MetroMPG's help we got it to 50+. Still looking for more of course, and/or ideas on organizing them.

&
Old 09-21-11, 03:53 PM   #14
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

In addition to a 1.5 gpm shower nozzle, I turn the water off after I get all wet, and then after I lather up and am ready to rinse, I turn it back on. What some may see as going too far, I see as a convenience. I don't have to try and dodge the flow of water whilst I lather up.

A few minutes after I finish my shower, I can hear our gas HWH kick on. On average, my time in the shower is less than 10 minutes with ~ half that time no water flowing. I would guesstimate that I use maybe 8 to 9 gallons of water maximum to take a shower.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasstingy For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-21-11)
Old 09-21-11, 04:16 PM   #15
Daox
Administrator

Thanks, thats a good one. Its on the list!

&
Old 09-21-11, 05:14 PM   #16
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

-Seal all the joints in your ductwork, using foil tape, or the brush-on sealer. If you're going to spend money to heat/cool the air be sure it gets where it's supposed to be. Be sure all your registers and cold air returns are free of obstructions. Have your ductwork cleaned, let the air flow as easy as possible. Keep the filters clean.
-Clean the vent pipe on your laundry dryer, a partially clogged vent can impede the moist air to the point that it extends the drying time. Lint accumulations are a serious fire hazard.
-Speaking of filters, don't forget the ones in your car or truck, clean filters allow your vehicle run at it's best efficiency.
herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to herlichka For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-22-11)
Old 09-22-11, 03:16 PM   #17
Daox
Administrator

Well, we got the tips list up (thanks Darin)! There is now a link at the top of the page. Its extremely basic right now. I'd love to see it full of links to examples and other things eventually as we build it up. That being said I'm still looking for more tips! I know I missed a bunch.

50+ Home Energy Saving Tips You can do Right Now - EcoRenovator

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	link.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1743  

&

Last edited by Daox; 09-22-11 at 03:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (09-22-11)
Old 09-22-11, 03:33 PM   #18
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Woohoo Glad to see this up

In the Water Conservation section: I'd add washing hands over bucket/basin to use the grey water for flushing. Cheap, no remodelling needed, and fully reversible
Daox (09-22-11)
Old 10-06-11, 02:48 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Still looking (always looking) for more tips!

&
Old 10-07-11, 03:06 AM   #20
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Here are a few I mentioned in another thread:
  • Clean the furnace's/boiler's heat exchanger before heating season. The built up dust and grime reduce its efficiency.
  • Put a radiant barrier behind radiator to reflect heat into the room and not the wall.
  • Clean your windows before winter. In my case it let more light in than removing the screens. On the other hand, dirty windows in the summer should slightly reduce the amount of heat the enters the room.

Daox (10-07-11)