Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-29-12, 08:19 PM   #21
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
It will be surrounded by 3" of XPS similar to what you did with yours.

That can be done. I am building my own differential controller to control the system so I can do whatever I want.

I looked into commercial insulated options. IMO they don't offer nearly enough R value, and they're incredibly expensive. Most of the stuff I saw had only around R3 (where mine is R15), and it cost 3X more than what I am doing.
That sounds good -- hope you will take some pictures and post them.

Gary

GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 09:33 AM   #22
Daox
Administrator

There will definitely be pictures. I'm currently working on the trench and solar panel rack, and sharing my progress in this thread:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...el-rack-7.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 03:04 PM   #23
Daox
Administrator

I ran through the same calculations as Gary did a couple posts ago. I made a spreadsheet to compare the flow rates and different heads of pressure they create.

Looking through the available pumps I've come across a few that would work.

grundfos up15-100f 5.3gpm @ 1.1A (135W)
taco 009 gives me 6gpm @ 1.4A (161W)
grundfos ups26-99FC (speed #2) gives 7.5 gpm @ 1.5A (179W)

I'm still trying to dig through all the possibilities. However, I am leaning toward the UPS26-99FC at this point. Unless the power consumption ratings are way off, its very comparable pump wise to the UP26-64F, but the UP26-64F pulls 1.7A vs the 1.5A on the UPS26-99FC.

One thing I am thinking would probably be nice to have integrated into the pump is a check valve to prevent circulation when the pump is off. Its a relatively cheap option to add to the pump, and its one less thing I have to find fittings for and install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pumpinfo.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2528  

&
Old 10-05-12, 07:29 PM   #24
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

The grundfos are all available with the check valve built in. If you get the Resol variable speed control, your pump will be running at much lower power 80% of the time and I really like the UPS26-99. it is a very versatile pump.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 09:18 AM   #25
Daox
Administrator

After a bit more thinking I think I'm going to go with the UP15-100F. I'll err on the cautious and cheaper side, especially since the gains for going to a larger pump really are quite minimal.

The one problem I'm having is finding the UP15-100F with the internal flow check valve. After looking at the grundfos spec sheet, I don't think I can actually get the pump with one, so I'll have to add that in as a separate item.

&
Old 10-07-12, 09:40 AM   #26
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
After a bit more thinking I think I'm going to go with the UP15-100F. I'll err on the cautious and cheaper side, especially since the gains for going to a larger pump really are quite minimal.

The one problem I'm having is finding the UP15-100F with the internal flow check valve. After looking at the grundfos spec sheet, I don't think I can actually get the pump with one, so I'll have to add that in as a separate item.
List price difference is about $120. I don't know what price you would be paying for it. A good inline check valve is probably $40+ but since you have such a long lineset that is not going up to the roof, you might be able to do away with a check valve altogether. You can use a heat trap to prevent any unwanted fluid movement.

As much as i like the 3 speed 26-99, it is too high an amperage for the variable speed controllers where the 15-100 will work with the RESOL controller so it looks like it is a good fit.

Last edited by Mikesolar; 10-07-12 at 09:54 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesolar For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-08-12)
Old 10-08-12, 12:54 PM   #27
Daox
Administrator

That is a good idea. Would you suggest a mechanical heat trap, or just the raised tubing type?

&
Old 10-08-12, 01:17 PM   #28
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I would try one "U" on the supply going into the tank HX, 12" long should work, and one from the bottom of the HX as it is going to the pump. The second one may not be necessary but it is a cheaply made with a couple of 90s and could be added after if desired.
Old 10-09-12, 07:16 AM   #29
Daox
Administrator

I ended up ordering the UP15-100F last night. The price was right around $140 plus about $7 for the flange kit. For more info on the installation see this thread:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...anel-rack.html

&
Old 10-09-12, 06:46 PM   #30
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
I ended up ordering the UP15-100F last night. The price was right around $140 plus about $7 for the flange kit. For more info on the installation see this thread:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...anel-rack.html
where did you get the pump? The price is quite good.